Is Vix 2.4 stable yet?

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,035 times. The last Post () by pheonix.

• Hey guys,

I have been keeping an eye on the new open Vix website and notice that the Vix 2.4 image has regular build updates.

I would just like to know if Vix 2.4 is stable yet or are there still bugs to be ironed out?

Are the regular build updates just fixing bugs or adding features?

I don't want to update to vix 2.4 today to find out there is a new build out tomorrow if you know what i mean.

Ive just got vix 2.3 the way i like it but it wont let me create an image backup, it crashes the box every time i try it and it needs to be reflashed. (could this be because the USB stick i'm using is very old and has low read/write speeds?)

Any info greatly appreciated

D.B

• I used the vix 2.4 on an UNO for 2 weeks , very nice image,especially with the ramiher-3 skin ,
    my only hiccough was that I couldn´t get it to recognise the DTT usb penstick .
    Other than that,,, yes nice image and never had a crash in 2 weeks.. but as they say : "horses for courses".. user´s choice!

• ViX 2.4 is superbly stable more so than 2.3 ever was although for me 2.3 was also exceptionally stable.

if you look on the OpenViX site you will see a icon to show the status of the current Build green for stable, red for unstable and gold for updates being uploaded to the server.

now as to the regular updates you see, we dont just put them there for the sake of it, if you read the changelog i upload with every build you will see just what we have changed in that build, but as always make a set of backups if your unsure so that you can return to a working image if the worst happens.

as for ViX 2.3 i see your still uploading crashlogs on a almost daily basis and we do appreciate that but We no longer update nor maintain ViX 2.3 so there will be no updates for that image, i will say though if you move to ViX 2.4 you will find that almost all if not all your problems are resolved in this newer image.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• thanks for the replies fellas

phoenix.... i am on the open vix website now and cant see any green, red or gold icons beside any of the image builds

I also wanted to ask you a quick question phoenix: do you guys ask users to submit both crash AND debug logs or just crash logs and what is the difference between the 2 of them?

Now that i know vix 2.3 isn't maintained i wont send anymore logs for it

I really wish i could backup my current vix 2.3 but every time i try backup to usb, i get an error message, the box crashes and it needs a reflash.

Maybe if i try a more up to date USB stick with better read/write speeds it might work?

your hard work is greatly appreciated phoenix, keep up the awesome work :)

• look here for the icon.

as for logs crashlogs are usually enough although we will sometimes ask for debug logs as well, try setting the backup location to the HDD see if it works then, if yes you can always FTP into the image and copy the backups to your pc for later use.

• why not install backup suite to make a full backup ?'
    I use this on images that don´t /won´t permit ..
    Works a treat.. you will find your backup in either /media/usb or /media/hdd whichever you make the backup to..

no need theres a fully functioning and frankly far more superior backup manager built directly into ViX it self.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!