Couple of general questions - raid and smargo or

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 623 times. The last Post () by sync.

• I've never set-up a raid configuration of hard drives before, although I did study the advantages and overheads etc of the different raid configurations in computer science, but in the examples we did, the hard discs were the same size. Was this just for ease of explinaiton or is this a requirement of a raided hard drive configuration?

Also, in terms of card readers, whats the advantages/disadvantages of the smargo/omnikey? as in which should i buy and why.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• can anyone clarify any of the above questions

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• you can use different size drives no problem but are you talking about hardware raid or software raid ?

Software raid is inexpensive and you dont need identical drives, will works with EIDE, Serial ATA and SCSI drives and you can mix together whatever types and sizes you have and if you just need mirrored drives software raid is the way that most go
    But hardware raid is a lot easier to setup and look after, tbh for a home setup I would recommend to have a spare pc at the ready as I do all my testing on my spare one and if my server went down and a reboot does not bring it back a simple switchover does the trick, also an ubuntu server with oscam and whatever else can easily be setup in a couple of hours :-)
    hope this helps you decide what to do

and I've tested both card readers and found the omnikey to be the better, used in oscam the ecm times are lower and once setup correctly there will never be a problem, my oscam is now running 23 days since reboot with 2 omnikeys

• Thanks for the reply, much appreciated and yes helps me a lot, is there any point in being able to write your own cards any more?

BpGgW.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!