OpenVPN in enigma2 box or in VPN router with openwrt

There are 13 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,397 times. The last Post () by Compo.

• Hello, i'm new to the world of enigma2 and I have some doubts about what is the best way to use a vpn it my enigma 2 box. I use openpli on my zgemma h9s but I'm getting some problems setting up openvpn, so I want to buy an router to install openwrt and use it as vpn router.

What you advice? What you use in your setup?

Best regards

• If you have your heart set on a router then buy a Asus or Netgear router with at least a dual core 1ghz cpu to obtain a decent VPN speed. Run the router with Merlin firmware as this uses less cpu power because it has the ability certainly with my Asus router to do the VPN encryption on the fly. And you can set policy rules so you can have some kit going through VPN and others going through your ISP.

I run a Asus RT 86U router with Merlin installed and can get 130mb down and 20 mb up on a 200/20 line using the openVPN protocol not tried it yet but with Wineguard and PIA VPN i could on paper max out my line.

• If you have your heart set on a router then buy a Asus or Netgear router with at least a dual core 1ghz cpu to obtain a decent VPN speed. Run the router with Merlin firmware as this uses less cpu power because it has the ability certainly with my Asus router to do the VPN encryption on the fly. And you can set policy rules so you can have some kit going through VPN and others going through your ISP.

I run a Asus RT 86U router with Merlin installed and can get 130mb down and 20 mb up on a 200/20 line using the openVPN protocol not tried it yet but with Wineguard and PIA VPN i could on paper max out my line.

Yesterday I buy an Mi router 4C to install openwrt but the software is a lot instable, I can put vpn working it kill switch but after a minutes the connection drops and I need to reboot the router :S

Yesterday I buy an Mi router 4C to install openwrt but the software is a lot instable, I can put vpn working it kill switch but after a minutes the connection drops and I need to reboot the router :S

Not a router i would consider a good choice for VPN dont know that much about that model. Sorry.

Not a router i would consider a good choice for VPN dont know that much about that model. Sorry.

A good choice of VPN to be used in what device? :) On the router or on the enigma box? The problem it the router I bought is that is not full suported yet by openwrt, only have support for snapshot builds and seems that wifi is not stable =/

• I’m use raspberry pi 4 with gateway (Openvpn)

Your raspberry pi is getting internet wired or through wireless? Because sometimes I travel and don't have always routers it Ethernet Port.

my pi is connect lan with router and only gateway not access

ok, and you have some kind of kill switch to prevent if vpn connection drops the box does not communicate through regular internet connection?

I have the same router. It's nice. Merlin firmware on it too. Using ExpressVPN for over a year now with openvpn. ExpressVPN has their custom firmware which I find klunky.
    Good/Bad? I'm in the US. Amazon Prime and Netflix is region blocked where I usually tunnel to Sweden. So I need to turn the vpn off for that.
    In a browser you need to add the correct US prefix, etc in a browser or your home page shows in Svensk. Easy fix.
    In the Merlin firmware you can add 5 config files and call them up fast for your different needs. And the ExperssVPN site has loads of sites with configs for them.
    They also allow you to put their vpn on your devices. So you're safe off of your LAN away from home.
    I haven't felt the need to put a vpn on my sat receiver. I use it only for satellite reception. So opinions will differ.

• The plus for me on Merlin is you can set policy rules to redirect your kit through either WAN or VPN so all my kit IPTV boxes Sat Boxes etc goes through VPN with a policy rule set and kill switch activated a second PC goes through VPN also for torrents etc and my first PC and mobile phones have their Policy set to go directly through WAN for browsing etc. Im on a 200mb line and get 130mb plus through VPN thanks to the 86U's 1.8ghz dual core CPU more then enough for the dodgy side of my internet activity. Ive also around 5 clients set for different regions and it will unlock the like of Danz at good speeds.

I really can not fault how it works, previously id a 2 router configuration setup to do the same thing and it didnt do that as well as the single Asus.

Out of intrest what speeds are you getting from Express VPN and have you tried Wineguard yet rather than OpenVPN ?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!