Looking into alternatives to Sky+HD

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,840 times. The last Post () by urie.

• Hi folks,

I currently have a Sky+HD (1TB not Q, Quad LNB AFAIK); I'm wanting to cancel and looking into alternatives.

I was initially looking at the Arris Freesat box, however after reading about issues with that box, and also additional flexibility available with alternatives I'm interested in recommendations (I seem to be going round in circles looking at different boxes, tech specs etc.).

So, requirements/desirables are:-

• Ability to record from satellite (minimum 2 HD feeds, possibly 4K for future-proofing but not crucial)
    • Channel availability (at least same as available on FreeSat)
    • Series Links (preferably including next series but not show-stopper if not)
    • "Family friendly" (I don't mind some complexity however needs to be usable by my OH; similar level of simplicity/reliability to Sky+ is desirable)
    • LAN or WiFi (have 100Mb LAN available behind TV, could upgrade to Gb if worthwhile)
    • Internal HDD (either preinstalled or room to install)
    • Ability to view/watch/control from another TV (currently use SCART Video Sender from Sky box, however my other TVs have Roku & Fire TV - would prefer to be able to transmit/view in HD)
    • Optional: Terrestrial (FreeView) recording? (if it's worthwhile, not something I have at the min)
    • Optional: Ability to offload recordings to external HDD or NAS
    • Optional: Catch-up TV (can rely on Fire TV/Roku if not built in)

For price: ideally something similar to FreeSat box (so ~£270 including 2TB HDD), however will consider going above if worthwhile.

Grateful for any thoughts/recommendations/other things I may not have considered.

• Official Post

Gigablue UHD Quad 4k seems to tick the boxes for you.

HD and 4K recording from cable/satellite/terrestrial.

Channel availability ~ Enigma2 Settings and Satellites.xml.

Series Links AKA Timers and Recordings is a standard feature on all enigma2 images/firmware.

Family friendly - all buttons can be mapped to what you are used to on Sky+. Same skins are also available ~ Enigma2 KiddaC.

No WIFi, only LAN available. But can use a WIFI stick if needed.

No internal storage, but an eSATA port and enough usb ports for external storage.

Ability to view/watch/control in HD from another TV with the HDMI out port.

Optional Terrestrial tuner for recording can be added ~ single or twin hybrid DVB-C/T/T2.

Ability to share recordings and files to other devices over the network is possible.

Catch-up TV is possible with an iptv subscription along with the plugin X-Streamity - Xtream Codes IPTV Player.

• Gigablue UHD Quad 4k seems to tick the boxes for you.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply; that was one of the boxes I had been considering :thumbup:

Some others were Zgemma H7S 4K UHD 2x DVB-S2X + 1x DVB-C/T2, Technomate TM-Twin 4K Enigma 2 Linux UHD PVR Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver, VU+ Duo 4K SE (SELECT YOUR TUNERS) UHD 4K & also OCTAGON SF8008 S2X TWIN 4K UHD 2x DVB-S2X (obviously quite a range of prices & facilities); do you have any personal experience with any of these (if so any thoughts/preferences/gotchas)?

• Official Post

The VU+ DUO 4K SE is way over your budget, but it is the ultimate box that ticks all your requirements and would be my personal choice.

With the optional DVB-T tuner it will price at £410.

Octagon SF8008 4K is the next best option.

No optional DVB-T tuner on the mainboard, so a USB terrestrial tuner would be required.

No HDMI out, only AV - Audio Video Jack - Jack to RCA.

Zgemma H7 is the slowest box from your choices with a dual core processor compared to the rest that have quad core.

It has no output for the ability to view/watch/control from another TV.

Personally i wouldn`t even consider the Technomate. Support for this box is non-existent. Only OpenATV and OpenViX continue to build firmware for this receiver.

• The VU+ DUO 4K SE is way over your budget, but it is the ultimate box that ticks all your requirements and would be my personal choice.

With the optional DVB-T tuner it will price at £410.

Thanks so much, I think you've helped me narrow my choice down to 2 (Gigablue & Vu+); I appreciate the personal recommendation - so in your opinion the extra cost of the Vu+ is worthwhile/justified? I don't want to make a purchase then regret it later (or need to upgrade sooner etc)?

The Gigablue UHD Quad 4k does have internal sata III port, I have 1 TB hard drive fitted in mines.

Thanks, that's really good to know too :thumbup:

How have you found the Gigablue - generally happy or any issues/gotchas to be aware of?

• Official Post

I own a six year old VU+ solo 4k, which has similar specification to the Gigablue Quad 4K. I`ve owned many test receivers since and always go back to the solo 4k as my main box. It handles everything i can throw at it and doesn`t need to be upgraded yet. So for me the DUO 4k SE is an investment that should last many years without worrying about upgrades.

I`ll point out the main comparisons that should help you make your decision:

VU+ DUO 4K SEGigaBlue Quad 4K
    £349£249
    Less than a year oldOver 3 1/2 years old
    Quad core processorDual core processor
    Dualband WiFi (2.4 / 5GHz)No WiFi
    3.5" LCD Mini TV3" Color display
    USB 3.0USB 2.0
    3 GB RAM2 GB RAM
    Removable frame for 2.5" HDDFixed internal 2.5" HDD
  • I own a six year old VU+ solo 4k, which has similar specification to the Gigablue Quad 4K. I`ve owned many test receivers since and always go back to the solo 4k as my main box. It handles everything i can throw at it and doesn`t need to be upgraded yet. So for me the DUO 4k SE is an investment that should last many years without worrying about upgrades.

I`ll point out the main comparisons that should help you make your decision:

Excellent - if you've been using your box for 6+ years, and still happy with it (even after sampling many others don't feel an urge to upgrade) - that is very reassuring (and also gives an indication of ongoing support etc.).

Thanks again for your time/giving the benefit of your knowledge; I think I'm now definitely leaning towards the Vu+ :thumbup:

• master G , yes at the time I did look at the VU+ DUO 4K SE but went for the gigablue but by the time I added extras

Gigablue UHD Quad 4K UHD 2xDVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators) + SPARE TUNER SLOT

- GiGaBlue Optional Tuner: Twin Hybrid DVB-C/T/..

- Enigma 2 Firmware / Image Options (£1.00 charge): OpenATV (Nightly Bui..

- Fitted Hard Drive Options: 1TB HDD 2.5"

Total: £349.00

P.S it does have usb 3.0

also because I though bluetooth would work with my head phones no I still needed to buy bluetooth dongle eventually bought android smart 4k tv it had bluetooth so now no need for the bluetooth dongle.

but still happy with the gigablue compaired to zgemma h9 combo :smiling:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!