Do not power off your box!!!

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,680 times. The last Post () by s3n0.

• Official Post

I see all to many users switching of their boxes with the power switch when they crash or freeze. This just add to the issues you all ready have and corrupt yout box settings.

So instead you should make your self acquainted with the Terminal connection to your box.

This can be done several ways. There are softwares to install on your computer. I recommend Putty.

I have attached putty to this post and here is also a short youtube video explaining how to connect with putty.

So after you have installed putty and setup your login. For all boxes the username is root as in the video.

Most image demand that you go to the box settings and provide a passoword your self before you can log in with putty.

If not done yet you have to do this. Most images has the set password under Network Menu.

Else just check around your setup or system meny and you find it.

When you have set a password you can login with putty.

Now we have the Terminal window open and can now restart the box

In terminal window just type reboot now putty window will close by it self and your box will shutdown proper before it starts up again.

This can take some time, up to several minutes so be aware that the box is not responding but it's normal.

All this works of cause just as fine with DCC/VUCC or Shell in a box extension for the web interface

So to keep your box in good shape use Terminal to force reboot and not the power switch :)

Install file is found in the attached zip file or download your self from https://putty.org/

• seagen , yes noticed a member on xstreamity section mentioning it had deleated playlist not sure if it was deleted but he had just pulled the power plug so no chance of xstreamity settings being saved. as you say even if stb freezes you can use putty to log on and type reboot.

• "git bash" contains OpenSSH.

Install it and you can "ssh user@host" / "scp localfile.suffix user@host:" from its included bash on Windows like on any Linux or Mac machine. Even configs and keys in your $HOME/.ssh directory are interchangeable.

• Hi seagen

This is not very clear advice ... I think :-/.

The entire Enigma2 platform is designed so that all data are saving (storing) in the internal flash disk only sometimes - occasionally.

Even a lot of data are stored in Enigma2 GUI only when Enigma2 is rebooted or stopped (into standby mode) - such as EPG file or Enigma2 configuration file. These files are of course non-essential. They are not important to the running of the Linux system or to the running of the Enigma2 GUI.

This principle, primarily saves the number of possible rewrites of memory cells, in the flash memory (in the internal flash drive) - in the set-top box.

It is often used for the needs of fast data storage, only the so-called "volatile" RAM-disk (temporary disk created in RAM memory - usually placed under "/tmp" or "/var/volatile" folders). For example, the EPG file is not always saved, but only when the Enigma2 GUI is restarted, and otherwise the EPG file is maintained during the entire system operation, always only in the RAM memory and not on the internal flash drive.

It is true that some processes, such as Oscam or system debugging, sometimes also use the internal flash drive to store data (files), and this, for example, can also cause problems when the user interrupts the saving of data to a file (to the internal flash drive) - however this does not apply under normal circumstances. These are only exceptional cases.

Set-top boxes, mobile phones, Wi-Fi routers, or other similar (small / digital / home) devices... are designed so that they do not interfere with a hard shutdown of the power supply (for example, in the event of power outages). Well, Linux set-top boxes with Enigma2 GUI belong to the same category.

Rather the opposite of what you wrote applies here. If the set-top box or the file system is destroyed when the system was just saving data to the internal flash drive - then this is really a rare case and very unlikely.

These devices intended for the Enigma2 GUI do not represent a standardized PC system, but rather a standardized set-top box. So the loss of supply current should not interfere there.

I recognize that this can happen. But really only exceptionally. I dare to estimate that only 1 case out of 1000 hard power offs of the set-top box can damage the file system or even the internal flash drive directly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!