Plugin request

There are 8 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 966 times. The last Post () by abu baniaz.

• Could someone write a simple plugin which will check (let's say every minute ) if any SAT FBC tuners are active (in use). If none are in use the plugin will send a diseqc command (e.g Port C)

Ps. I can pay someone for creating such a plugin. :)

• Official Post

Could someone write a simple plugin which will check (let's say every minute ) if any SAT FBC tuners are active (in use). If none are in use the plugin will send a diseqc command (e.g Port C)

Ps. I can pay someone for creating such a plugin. :)

i could probably make a script for that.... But the question is why ? What do you need it for exactly ?

• I have VU+ Duo 4k SE (with FBC tuners) which doesn't turn off LNB power in standby mode. By changing diseqc port to e.g. B ( to which nothing will be connected) I will eliminate power consumption. I'm planning to use 4 LNBs - that's about 10W - just LNBs. 10Wx24x365 = 86 KWh x 0.30 EUR = 26 EUR per year.

Ps. I will use external power supply since receiver doesn't output that king of power.

Thanks.

• Official Post

An Interesting look at it, .... it is kind of a waste of money assuming the calculations are correct

BUT it is however not a new problem, it would appear to be a VU plus driver issue.

And even if you point the tuner to a "nothing connected port B" the box itself will most likely still be drawing power as the tuner is active

and you will be using an external power supply on top of the STB power consumption .

See this thread here for details (they are still the same tuner modules )

https://forums.openpli.org/top…-lnb-power-in-standby-vu/

• I've done extensive research (I've red those posts on openpli forum) and haven't found any solution - that's way I came up with this idea (but have no clue how to write a script)

What do you mean "as the tuner is active". I want a script which will change disqec switch to port B while tuners are not being used at all (standby mode or no LAN streaming).

The external power supply will be installed before disqec switch - so there will be no power consumption (in standby mode)

• Official Post

I will have to test after Xmas when i get some time....

,but my thinking is that the power usage will be almost the same, using an actual LNB or not, ( "the nothing connected port B")

According the the Pli thread, all tuners are always powered.

So really the answer is to turn all the tuners off properly when not in use, like most other boxes do.

I have 3 dishes on my VU, so i too could also save a bit of money if we fix it somehow.

• I think we will save some money.

Of course, the tuners being always powered on consume electricity. But LNBs draw additional power (additional circuit board to power).

Unicable LNB spec states: Current consumption: 350 mA max. @ 13.5 V - that's 4.7W. (I measured the current and - with one tuner active - it consumes around 150-200 mA)

Merry Christmas

• Official Post

Standby really does not do anything apart from switch off display signal, as your calculations show. In essence, Standby = Idle. I think that this is what what DM use. If you use deep standby, that should go down to about 1w.

Maybe not the answer you want, but have you considered adding a power timer? If the box is not being used for streaming, viewing , recording or playback after your time setting, you can set it to go to deep standby. You can set it to wake up at a particular time. It will automatically wakeup for recordings on its own.

By the way, the Vu receivers with FBC tuners will always output power to the LNB, they never switch off. This is in the drivers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!