E2 box as server?

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,256 times. The last Post () by Chris230291.

• Long time TV Headend user... electricity prices keep climbing and my old x86 server needs to be replaced (170W average!).

My server does many things but I think I want to move the TV part to an E2 box.

The box will live in the attic, not attached to any TV and be configured and streamed from remotely. <- Is this reliable?

I don't have a budget as such but I also don't see sense in buying a flashy top end box with a front panel screen etc if its never going to be seen.

I have a fixed 28.2E dish, a motorised dish, and some IPTV streams.

Since I want to use the box as a server I don't really want a box that only has fast ethernet, full gigabit + please.

I know there are lots of images... Maybe one is best for my use case?

Maybe one brand gets more love than others with updates etc?

Assuming this is a good idea, what do you guys recommend?

• Official Post

The octagon sf8008 twin tuner best bang for your buck IMO (and very good tuners)

OCTAGON SF8008 S2X TWIN 4K UHD Linux Enigma 2 2160p H.265 HEVC Dual Wifi Multi-Stream Twin Satellite DVB-S2X Tuners

If the e2 box becomes the server in the attic it will mostly be in standby, offering you 2 free tuners.....

But is that enough, how many tuners are you currently using ?

How many clients ?

I do similar myself with my vu ultimo 4k, but that is in the living room, in bedrooms i have 2 clients that are also e2 boxes....but not connected to any sat feeds,

and 3rd client is a shield in the shed.

In my case the FBC tuners become useful on the very rare occasion all 4 TV's are required.

• Thanks for the reply.

I was already looking at the sf8008.

I have 4 tuners right now. 1 for the motor and 3 for the static dish. Technically I only need 2 (1 for each dish), but being able to watch and record on the static dish at the same time would be nice. Not sure thats worth paying 3x the price though.

There are multiple clients throughout the house, but only 2 users and I'm the only one interested in satellite.

What image are you using and which client software? Any issues?

I have several USB XBOX One DVB-T2 tuners. Can those be plugged in and work? Not a deal breaker or anything, just curious.

• Official Post

I have used the xbox tuners on DVB/ C ..... i cant remember if they worked on DVB/T.... you also need the drivers for them

Mmmm looks like they do work on the sf8008 from another user here:

As for e2 image, im still on openATV 6.4 which IMO is very stable and still has support, i am in no rush to go to py3 images.

You can easily make an m3u file from the e2 box to use with just about anything

There is also various e2 plugins that help with remote streaming to clients, it depends on the client and your needs.

You can open a new thread when you get a box and would be happy to help

:merry-xmas-linuxsat.:

BTW you can run TVheadend on e2 boxes as well, if that is what you are used to..... i have never really spent the time to use tvheadend fully.

• I've already looked into a replacement server. Think I will go with an i3 intel nuc. They cost about 3-4x a top end pi 4, but they are significantly more powerful. At idle they draw 3-5w and you can actually buy them!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!