Ummm yeah. Where are the missing Linux terminal commands?

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 782 times. The last Post () by supwiddiss.

• Trying to use a Zgemma H7 for a tuner client on an osmio4k. Using 2 slots with Vix and openatv. Been bouncing back and forth trying to get the Zgemma as a client to reliably show one bouquet from the osmio.

I'm finding the osmio with vix and tunerserver (or something like that....for now) and the Zgemma with openatv 6.4 works the best for now.

The Zgemma. I'm using a USB Wifi dongle for LAN connection. It works well on a Windows pc with pretty good speeds. On the Zgemma download speeds are pretty slow. In the 1mbps region.
    Enough to stream a few channels from the mio. Some channels just refuse to show.
    I'm of the belief. Or not. That I might need more U/D speeds. I have no wired Ethernet at the moment to test where the Zgemma is. But I can.

Here we go. The Zgemma uses what it shown as one RTL driver. In either vix or atv. Using the same driver name.
    Let's call it RTL2600 for now.
    I uesd Windows device manager to find the HW id. I looked it up and came up with the device chipset.
    Opened the dongle and the chip was in fact what the hwid was.
    Lets call that RT5257 (for now).
    Windows used a MS driver. I found and installed the actual driver and the utility for it. It seemed to perform better.

I found Linux drivers for the dongle. Wanted to give installing them a whirl. Found them in .ipk format. Installed w/o any errors.
    Searched forums to attempt to verify the dongle parameters and such.
    No dmesg or other suggested commands can be run in terminal. I think lshw isn't even there. And others that forums (ubuntu) instruct that I try.
    Enigma2 searches come up short.
    Is there any info someone could offer to force a dongle to use a specific (and hoping a better) correct driver?
    What about all of the missing Linux commands?

I certainly can grab the exact chipset, driver being used, and desired drivers I found if someone could spark an interest.

• Official Post

I have been here before.

Drivers are done at manufacturer level, some dongles may work better than others (all will need zgemma support or a patch made to compile with an image build)....

Honestly IMO the easiest / quickest solution is either a mesh wifi type set up, or run another cat6 cable.

• Well. Kind of figured out what is going on with my wifi dongle drivers.
    Windows showed that it was a Ralink RT3070. My E2 images showed it as a rt2800usb wireless network interface.
    The wifi chip in the dongle is the RT3070. The super tiny usb controller chip that takes care of serial coms to the wifi chip is a rt2800.
    Got all of that from data sheets and pinouts.
    Gets me wondering if Linux is letting me get all that I can get out of the wifi chip like you can easily in Windows by going into its device manager/advanced page or using any manufacturers support application.
    Or even if there is a method to probe the capabilities and modify them. Things such a region which would allow changing rx/tx power, if it may have bluetooth capabilities integrated it it.
    Oh well. It's working okay.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!