signal strengh throughout the day

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 499 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• Just a technical question why do certain satellites beam vary in strengh so much during the day for example 4.8e can rise and drop by 15% on the nordic beam dependant on what time of day it is,this can make all of the difference for me because of my geographical position

• A TV satellite usually has a geostationary orbit so therefore it is in a fixed position from an observer's point of view, so the earth's curvature should have no influence in the fluctuation of a satellite signal. Only if the orbit was inclined (not orbiting at 0 degrees to the equatorial plain) would this be a factor. From what I understand, it is more to do with the difference in the composition of the ionosphere and other layers of the earth's atmospere at certain points of the day, heavily influenced by the sun. Basically, the sun and atmospheric conditions do not remain constant, and this affects the journey of the microwaves as they pass through the layers of the earth's atmosphere.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• i beg to differ musogeek ¬
    a satellite cannot be parked absolutely STILL in space that's why they end up in what is referred to as InCLINED orbits - I have found that fringe areas in the footprint can get different signal levels throughout the day and night and this level change can be tracked ¬ For example last time i set up my 1.5meter dish i could recieve 4.8 bot not all the channells without break up however during a select period of 6-7 hours certain channels wouldn't break up and that time spot changed through out the Rotation sequence - Funny it should be the same satellite in the beggining of this thread !

Rik

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• As far as I understand, a satellite eventually enters an inclined orbit towards the end of its life, as it has spent most of its fuel. As you rightly say Rik the orbit isn't completely stable, and that is why it needs fuel, to keep the orbit as stable as possible, however, I am not so sure that this has the biggest effect on the signal strength, obviously if this slight instability caused the satellite to dip below the horizon and then reappear, then it would be noticed, but there is a lot more going on.

• One should only notice it on the Edge of the footprint ¬ Such as with 4.8e and 26e !

Nice Thread

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• below is a good site for tracking a satellite's position - the link is for TV satellites.

Code
    http://www.n2yo.com/satellites/?c=34

Maybe it would be interesting to take note of the signal strengths in relation to the position of the satellite and the times of day etc to see what causes the fluctuations. Nothing like experimenting (so I used to say in my late teensjoint10)

• this is only too true for BBc2 viewers in some well known "blackspots" in southern Spain... it goes " out of range"
    for wanting of a better wording in the afternoon fom 374pm until about 7pm
    but meanwhile only 1 km distance there´s no problem at all 24/7 ......

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!