Help Correctly Aligning My 1.2M Channel Master Dish and moteck H-H180 motor

There are 244 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 9,625 times. The last Post () by supwiddiss.

• When your angle finder arrives, check your dish face angle on 0.8w like i did with mine a few posts back.

It should be somewhere close to what i have.... within a couple of degrees anyways. If not then it's back to the drawing board to figure out why.

ok will do (hopefully we dont get snow), im also thinking it might need to be higher of the ground? im thinking about getting 4 wooden pallets so put down then put the dish mount with the dish attached ontop of the pallets so it has better line of sight, do u think that would work? (they should be strong enough to hold it all right)? ill screw them all together to make sure they are secure < good idea??

• Official Post

Depends whats in your line of sight for the dish? mine only sticks slightly above the fence line, my line of sight is clear from 39e to 15w and thats all i can get.

Any further west and i hit the fence, any further east and there is the house right in the way. I use a small dish for the other sats.

Your mount is worrying to say the least, it sitting on grass is far from ideal. If your mount sinks into the ground just 1mm on its front edge then the top of the mount pole (where everything mounts to) will move several mm's and the whole thing will be out miles.

• Depends whats in your line of sight for the dish? mine only sticks slightly above the fence line, my line of sight is clear from 39e to 15w and thats all i can get.

Any further west and i hit the fence, any further east and there is the house right in the way. I use a small dish for the other sats.

Your mount is worrying to say the least, it sitting on grass is far from ideal. If your mount sinks into the ground just 1mm on its front edge then the top of the mount pole (where everything mounts to) will move several mm's and the whole thing will be out miles.

Yeah, i moved it off my concrete base to see if i could get signal on 0.8w first then i will move it back onto the base (yes its completely level etc) < only reason i moved it off the base is due to the new shed being in the way (to close to my dish), it would have been put further back only thing is that the ground behind it wasnt level hence the shed is where it is now, but the shed was only put up in dec 2023, and the concrete base for the dish was done in the summer, im annoyed by how close to my dish my new shed is but i cant do anything about it due to the weight of it etc, so im loooking for other ideas, like using pallets for example so i can do the following; have 4 pallets bolted together on the concrete base then have the dish mount ontop of the 4 pallets which will bring it above the shed and above the fences (behind and opposite)

• Official Post

The angle the signal comes in is actually quite steep. I have a shed about 3 meters away from mine and it dosn't really affect signal on those sats (about 3w to 15west)

I know this as the shed went in after my dish.

dishhhh.png

• Update:

just been back outside, moved my dish back onto the concrete slap, my vbox is going crazy (it going through all the numbers trying to do god knows what)? (possibly searching for satellites on its own) also when i try to go east it goes west and west it doesnt go east, all i done was move it from the grass to the concrete, @jenseneverest

ok i can now move it east and west again

• Official Post

Unplug everything - power off - power back on

Honestly i wouldn't even have the vbox or motor powered up until you got signal on on 0.8w

What vbox is it ? My primesat vbox comes up with an error code "E some number" when there is an issue. But not had that in years now.....

• Unplug everything - power off - power back on

Honestly i wouldn't even have the vbox or motor powered up until you got signal on on 0.8w

What vbox is it ? My primesat vbox comes up with an error code "E some number" when there is an issue. But not had that in years now.....

yea mines a primesat PR11200 VBox, i have reset it now, and i can move east and west, but because it moves the dish (my sf8008 cant) it needs to be on inorder to get the signal from the lnb to the motor then to vbox then sf8008, it seems like the vbox is trying to search for satellites itself (without the dish/motor moving)

also on dishpointer what did u select for motor?

when selecting thor 0.8w im getting:

Satellite Data

Name: 0.8W INTELSAT 10-02 | THOR 5 | THOR 6 | THOR 7
    Distance: 38643km

Dish Setup Data

Elevation: 29.7°
    Azimuth (true): 181.5°
    Azimuth (magn.): 180.6°
    LNB Skew [?]: 0.9°

• Official Post

That data would be for a fixed dish, for that single sat. Refer to your manual for the mounts settings based on your GPS latitude.

The vbox dose not search for signal. It drives the motor and thats all.

It will take your disqec command from your e2 stb and go to your required sat. BUT it only goes to a position you have saved for that sat.

It is completely different to usals where each sat position is predetermined from the factory.

• That data would be for a fixed dish, for that single sat. Refer to your manual for the mounts settings based on your GPS latitude.

? so this one u posted is correct?

Address: kings lynn Norfolk UK

Latitude: 52.7517°

Longitude: 0.4023°

Satellite: 0.8W INTELSAT 10-02 | THOR 5 | THOR 6 | THOR 7

Elevation: 29.7°

what about the LNB Skew?

because according to dishpointer when i select motorised it says:

Dish Setup Data

Elevation: 30.0°
    Azimuth (true): 57.3°
    Azimuth (magn.): 57.3°
    LNB Skew [?]: 0.0°

• Official Post

LNB skew with a motor should be 0 - As the dish moves to the satellite

But i personally have tweaked mine very slightly for weak signals on 7east - ultimately my dish went up for sports feeds and those are mostly on 7 and 10 east.

The LNB also has a focal point -the distance from the dish face - this is also adjustable and i have found it differs between lnb types.

But im splitting hairs here, the difference to signal quality could only be seen on week signals

for the sake of setup - skew should be 0 and LNB placed central (use the 2 dots on the lnb skirt to align focal point in the middle)

• LNB skew with a motor should be 0 - As the dish moves to the satellite

But i personally have tweaked mine very slightly for weak signals on 7east - ultimately my dish went up for sports feeds and those are mostly on 7 and 10 east.

The LNB also has a focal point -the distance from the dish face - this is also adjustable and i have found it differs between lnb types.

But im splitting hairs here, the difference to signal quality could only be seen on week signals

for the sake of setup - skew should be 0 and LNB placed central (use the 2 dots on the lnb skirt to align focal point in the middle)

ok my LNB is at 0, just checked my motor angle of my other dish and its set to 29 degrees (i know its much smaller) but would the elevation be the same for this dish? if yes then copying that should fix this issue?

• Official Post

You would thing so....But im referring to your manual

Sometime the scales are marked as latitude - or marked as elevation

You would have to refer to the manual to see what the case is for each motor

scaleee.png

mmmmmmmmmmmmm.png

• already read that loads of times, so going by that it would be the following yes?

is this correct then?

Elevation Angle = 38

Declination Angle = 7.5 < there isnt a7.5 on there so it would be 7 instead??

so if i change it to these angles it should get signal? because i already tried that and didnt get a signal

• Official Post

Dan you keep forgetting the bracket from the dish face to the motor mount

THIS HAS NO SCALE and is adjustable....... a lot!!!

IMO your pissing in the wind without an angle finder- made worse by the fact the mount was on grass

As you can see in your manual there is no mention of the additional brackets - those are an addition to get your dish to work with your motor

That addition is a massive complication to the whole set up - it essentially means your DE inclination has no scale.

The scales are a rough guide anyways.... to get you at least in the rough area. It is still going to take a shed load of adjusting an absolute ball hair each time, retry for signal

move east and west, again a ball hair, recheck for signal, move up / down - a ball hair, recheck for signal.....

Repeated A million times over until you get something.

• Ok but the 2 brackets need to be attached due to it not reaching the motor arms

• Official Post

Agreed, someone posted a pic of your exact setup, your motor with a channel master - and those brackets are used, unfortunately it complicates things a great deal

Thats why i measured my dish face angle.......Hopefully you can setup your motor as per the manual

Then adjust your dish face to my angle ( adjusting only your black brackets with no scale then)

use the pic of mine to get you close to what angle it should be (it will only be close - it will still need tweaking no doubt)

• Agreed, someone posted a pic of your exact setup, your motor with a channel master - and those brackets are used, unfortunately it complicates things a great deal

Thats why i measured my dish face angle.......Hopefully you can setup your motor as per the manual

Then adjust your dish face to my angle ( adjusting only your black brackets with no scale then)

use the pic of mine to get you close to what angle it should be (it will only be close - it will still need tweaking no doubt)

Ok

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!