Ramblings about tuners, dvbsx, unicable, mulistream

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 288 times. The last Post () by supwiddiss.

• Reassignment of tuners is interesting. Sort of like adding an external drive to a usb port on a pc or usb hub. The assignments (drive D, E, F, etc.) change depending the port they are plugged into. But you can always set the drive number in settings. At least for Windows.
    Would that be an option in E2 images? Even if you had to dive in the file system and edit a setting?

FBC always interested me. But my uses include having excellent blindscan capabilities also. So unless I am misled or things have changed. Having one of those tuners goes out the back door. Or "the bin" as you say.

VU+ won't even tell you anything about the demodulator used in their tuners. Receivers with soldered in tuners at least let you tear apart an Enigma 2 image and check the chipset(s) that may be used in them. Before you install the images.
    That would at least tell you if a single or dual tuner would be a good selection for blindscanning. But no.
    Even the sponsor is too lazy to open the tuner box and look. And web searches at the best show you blurry photos.

And I'm led to believe also that Broadcom is or has abandoned the FTA receiver chipset niche. Hisilicon seems to be the new kid on the block lately.
    So it's no wonder that the supply chain and hopes of your receiver-du jour being restocked soon might be a pipe dream.
    Edision removed the osmio4k variants from their website. The latest Octagon SF8008 with dual SX2 tuners is blindscan deficient compared to the original.
    It could be just firmware for the different tuner needs development. Just like as the osmio4k tuner drivers were cooked up over time. I dunno.

Another thing that has me wondering personally. 4:2:2 content. Sure, you can stream from your E2 receiver through the webif, to VLC, cast to your TV.
    All of the stream relay methods that I have never used or needed. And wouldn't even know how to use. It seems like a way to process. Even if downconverting the video. On an E2 receiver might be possible. Why not?
    And multistream. On the box of almost every receiver. No clue at all and very little information on how to utilize it. Every new blindscan turns up more and more multistream broadcasts. Even if they are encrypted. You never know if the channels that may be in them are. Or how many channels are actually in them. Or I missed something!

• Official Post

Your correlation to windows and added usb drives,...........that is indeed what E2 is doing with additional or optional tuners. That is a good way of thinking about it :thumbs up:

I dont want to go too far off topic here, but you bring up some interesting stuff there (will move our posts to a new thread if required)

Yes i too believe Broadcom has moved onto more lucrative pastures.

I have been reading recently about the Edison tuners, it turns out the tuner drivers are open source (it is probably the only E2 STB i am aware of that has open source drivers) There has been a few recent changes to improve what was already a very good tuner. I then went to look to one to buy and found the same as you....no one has any stock, other than a seller in the US that seems to have stock at a very reasonable price..... no idea if that is a legit seller or not....

So anyways i am currently looking to buy an OS MIO 4k plus to play about with its tuner.

The tuner changes im going on about can be traced back to HERE and also a mod by another user to the allow signal reports without a lock HERE

I believe it has been tested by some Stateside with your guys TNAP image ??

Multistream can be a minefield.... i currently dont have a dvb/SX tuner that can blindscan.... (again another reason to get the os mio lol)

I have an android STB that was meant to be able to play 4.2.2 content, which it dose.....very badly and only on low bit rate feeds, the same i tested a long time ago with an octagon sf8008......the hardware is simply not good enough to handle high bitrate 4.2.2 feeds.

Stream relay is not new..... but currently a big thing for UK and German TV.....we are having to patch oscam to allow us to view some paid for channels.

Really that patch should be in the DVB drivers..... but none of the manufacture's will add what is basically proprietary code to the drivers....

(Which is yet another reason for my interest in the OS Mio and its opensource drivers.)

• Perhaps sending this portion to a different thread might be appropriate.
    So. Tuner 'jumbling', leaving a person figuring out where the original one was reassigned to when adding or enabling additional ones could be addressed by the guru's. Unicable on this side of the pond could be considered a rarity.

The tuner in question is the Availink AVL6261. I believe the same one was used in the Octagon SF8008. The newest SF8008 Supreme has a sightly different dual tuner but is still Availink. DVB-T is pretty useless here. Any OTA reception is better handled by one of the supported USB dongles.
    Never the less. It looks like the previous SF8008 has very similar blindscan performance as the osmio4k receivers. No wonder. Same tuner. If VU+ used them as well as others. I think that all of the bling of them could be justified.
    But to add also. I've heard sometimes blatant responses that European sat. reception is different than USA. It's DVB-S2 variants. Not so much difference to a 'relative novice' to me.
    Static and seldom changed satellites.xml files released here and there are fine. But the ball games, occasional feeds, the feed hunters. Or in my case with the osmio4k. Blindscanning and checking for those feeds on new transponders is fun. My satellites.xml file differs widely from the ones you find stuffed into the E2 firmware versions. Some tp's come and some go.

Yeah. A TBS card would be very nice to have and would probably be the best solution for 4:2:2 content. Whether streamed with BDS drivers (Windows) or using linux. Or parked beside your TV. People get sussed of having Kodi and this and that on their satellite receiver when a streaming box works so much better. With the ability to use a BT keyboard and mouse. Is that even available on E2 receivers? Remote controls sure last longer.

I was rather surprised that Edision Hellas tech support responded to me and provided no fewer than 5 tuner drivers to try with the osmio4k.
    To try and review and provide feedback. Some were fast but missed a lot of transponders and some were extremely slow but very thorough when doing a blindscan. Some scanned low symbol rates and some had a threshold. That's the kind of i-give-a-crap response that you would expect to get.
    Open source or not. Don't know. The receivers were new at the time. I would expect that the Greek techs went right to the horse's mouth in China.

But going back to stream relay. Used when receivers didn't have enough 'oomph' to run softcams without. Like I mentioned. I never have used nor needed stream relay. The actual concept and function is fuzzy to me. But, if in fact there is enough horsepower left in receivers that don't require the usage. What IS the remote possibility that a software transcoder could be incorporated for 4:2:2 ?
    Or as the case a while back with the NASA 4k UHD change. Shortly lived. When a new 10 bit codec was used that rendered receivers with a black screen.
    VLC didn't even process it. A Microsoft HEVC codec was needed. NASA shortly after reverted back to the previous video format.

The admin of legitfta seems to be a receiver hoarder. A good one at that. Looking for the next latest, greatest receivers. A good review of the latest SF8008 Supreme is here. And it ain't so good comparing it to the previous model.

https://legitfta.com/forum/sho…33-Octagon-SF8008-Supreme

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!