Can I build by own Engima box using a powerful processer like intel i7 or add a GPU

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 827 times. The last Post () by dreamboxa.

• Hello

I have been using the dreambox DM Two Box and its a powerful device.

I am using it with 2 tuners

But I want to build a very strong and reliable device that can record 4 channels or more simultaneously 24 Hours a day and doesn't lag or have issues.

would love to hear your suggestions on what to do.

Can I build a device using a powerful cpu or even add a GPU and even better if in can convert the streams and record in MP4 file format instead of TS.

Please share with me your ideas .. I am new to this

• one does not simple go out and buy a dreambox dm920. :smiling face with halo:

One there is no stock anywhere and 2, they cost an absolute fortune when you can get a box half the price that does the exact same thing.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• TVHeadend is probably the best option for a monster recording setup.

Supports transcoding on the fly too.

The only downside is the tuners aren't cheap.

It's also not a "box".

But you could run Kodi on the same machine as a front end.

I run a headless TVHeadend server with thin Kodi clients (Veros and Firesticks).

• If i am not wrong you can talk about a virtual machine under windows or ubuntu for enigma 2 platform for sharing purpose.

but if your concern is sharing without channel and tuner, then Linux is much better then enigma, also enigma available BCM CPU's

enigma is basically a compiled version with tuner drivers and channel searching saving

still this post is good for developers if someone here.

• one does not simple go out and buy a dreambox dm920. :smiling face with halo:

One there is no stock anywhere and 2, they cost an absolute fortune when you can get a box half the price that does the exact same thing.

I don't know any boxes that cost half the price of the 920 with FBC tuner, can you point me to some?

• I remember an equipment : CW4000 this is a CPU with skywalker that tunes practically everything, to build a similar or better equipment with TBS card you could easily obtain 4:2:2 and now at much less than half the price of a professional equipment...

• Ok so i went ahead and ordered the TBS 6909x Card that has the 8 tuner

(TBS6909X DVB-S/ S2/ S2X 8 Tuner PCI Express Digital Satellite TV Card for Live TV)

Whats the next step?

Should i set it up with windows Desktop or Linux?

Does it support windows 11?

and what program (Software) does i use to do the scheduled recording?

I need something very reliable and not laggy or buggy.

Also what computer processing power will i need to record and be able to pull the video from the computer over the network.

If ill be recording 8 channels simultaneously will it be able to handle? i5, i7, i9 ? RAM 16GB 32GB 64GB?

Do i need a GPU as well or no need? RTX 4060 RTX 4070, RTX 4080 RTX 4090?

If somebody can help me with this I would be very thankful

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!