Video Output. What to choose, what it does.

• Hi,

I had a big scare the other day when I changed the video output of the receiver to 2160 just to try if it works with

a 4K TV channel, H7C with OpenATV connected to a 1080 TV/monitor - I'm buying a 4K TV soon, I guess - and the

video lasted just one second and then went black screen... so suddenly I got no more video from the receiver, I

couldn't change back the video output to 1080. What a scare!

Then, without a 4K TV the receiver was "dead" and couldn't be used anymore. Thank god I remembered that I

saved the configuration settings of the receiver and kept a copy of it on my PC, so I thought to upload the

settings file only to the receiver via FTP, and this, after powering it off and back on again brought back the video

image.

Now, if I hadn't had the settings file and a PC to upload it, could I have done anything to recover the video image?

Also, why did this happen? Shouldn't the receiver have gone back to 1080 resolution if it noticed that there was not

a TV/monitor connected to it with a 2160 resolution? Isn't there an automatic mode that does this? Without this,

users without a PC and having saved the configuration settings, changing resolutions could be a disaster...

Another thing. What does changing video output actually do? Does it downgrade the image? And what resolution

should I use with a 4K TV? If the receiver is set at 1080 output and 50H, would a 4K channel look worse on a 4K TV

than if the video output is set at 2016? Or this only depends on the video quality and not on the resolution set?

And, does a higher video output resolution consumes more CPU and energy or will it be the same? Just curious...

Thanks.

Cheers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!