Please help my momma - cheap box for remote channel management

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 570 times. The last Post () by KiddaC.

• Hi everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap box that would allow me to remotely alter channel settings.

For context, I'm buying this box for my mother, we live far away from each other and she's pretty old and absolutely not tech savy. She wants to watch Arabic FTA channels, and we've been doing that for decades now with a bunch of basic boxes. However, when transponder settings change, she loses some of her favorite channels and she has to wait for me to be on holidays to come home and reconfigure the box.

I unfortunately don't have the time or money to go see her every few months, so I'm looking at a box that would allow me to remote into it and mess with the channel & transponder settings.

I've dabbled quite a bit with basic sat boxes but never with the linux based ones, so I'm not sure of the state of the various firmwares like OpenPLI. However, I'm pretty capable with Linux, networking, etc.. so I don't foresee a problem on that side.

So here are my setup and requirements :

- Single LNB for now, I might put an Astra / Hotbird monobloc LNB with single cable output

- Only need FTA channels from Astra and/or HotBird

- Some way (can be web interface, file upload, ...) to change the channel list, search for transponders, alter settings.

- Ability to watch video from webinterface could be good, would allow me to preview the channels and make sure they are interesting

- Needs WiFi (no ethernet close to the TV)

- Simple 1080p is more than enough, don't need 4K

- Don't need an HDD for recording etc...

- Budget 150€ maximum, cheaper would be better :)

I've been eyeing the Octagon SF8008 hardware wise, but I don't know what it's original firmware or alternative ones like OpenPLI allow regarding remote access.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message !

• master G

Approved the thread.
    • Official Post

Apart from the WiFi requirement which is receiver specific, all the functions you mentioned are available on every Enigma2 receiver.

With regards to remote access, E2 was not designed with security in mind. Unless you setup up SSH keys/tokens, you are asking to be hacked. Setting a password is not sufficient. You would be better off remoting to pc/laptop and manipulating things on your mum's local network. So perhaps an old laptop she fires up when needed.

The other alternative is for you to manage and host the channel list elsewhere and get receiver to fetch them. There were plugins to do this a few years back but you can use a script.

• Thanks abu baniaz for answering ! Good to know that all receivers should work !

As for the network security, no worries, I already have a WireGuard vpn connection setup to her internet box / router in order to vnc into my sister's computer when she needs help too. I can add my SSH keys on the E2 ssh known hosts file on top of that without problem :)

The script and channel list thing is interesting, I'll look at the plugins or scripts I can use. Maybe I can code a small utility that would scrap lyngsat or kingofsat list once a week or something and filter and format that into a file the receiver understands.

I guess it's time to order that Octagon then, unless anyone could recommend something else ?

• Official Post

Octagon is a great box, with good blindscan, so no need to scrape websites, you can hardware scan the channels yourself, choosing FTA only as an option if required.

We have various plugins to arrange channels into sorted lists or "bouquets" or you can even download channels list prepared by others.

If you are already savvy with linux and networking ......you wont have any issues, welcome to the world of Enigma2 :beer1:

• Official Post

Is there no way of telling E2 to map all FTA channels on a particular sat as and when they change?

Edit: I mean all locally. No channel lists/bouquets/plugins/etc.

yes you can scan for FTA on a sat/ or multiple sats. But you dont get them grouped into a nice sorted list of bouquets like Movies and Sports for example.

• You probably can't go wrong with Octagon SF8008.

As ABU has touched on. Don't open the enigma2 box for remote access. It is super easy to hack.

All you mom needs is a laptop or PC or even an android tablet. Then you can simple use the software Teamviewer on yours and hers to remote into her laptop via a private access key.

From your remote connection to your moms laptop, you would then just open the web interface (openwebif) and you can fully access the engima2 box and menus that way.

I fix a lot of peoples issues remotely by using Teamviewer and using openwebif.

OpenPli is very barebones. It might not be the ideal choice if you are new to enigma2 boxes.
    Your box will probably come with openatv on it. That is a much better image for people learning how to use these boxes.

** A person who feels appreciated will always do more than what is expected **

• I have received the SF8008 yesterday and I started playing with it, it looks like it's the perfect device for my use case. I don't have a dish here so I can't search for channels etc... but I've already looked at how to organize them using e2 sat editor, trying to figure out how the bouquets work, editing the keymap.xml so that I can disable the "dangerous" buttons on the remote (I don't want my mom to enter into the settings by mistake, she'll be lost in there), all that stuff.

Thanks again for your help everyone, I'm very happy with my purchase and I think my mom will be too !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!