Sharing my genuine sub with my friends/family?

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 610 times. The last Post () by master G.

• ive currently got a genuine subscription and a htpc with windows 7 pro which i use as a media server, im looking to maybe invest in an omnikey to allow me to share my subcription from my pc which is pretty much on 24/7 to friends family. any help appreciated, software/hardware i will require? obv if doing it from a pc is quite hard then a suitable box suggestion which be ok, ive currently got a technomate 5402 which i dont think i can do much with.:ah:

• I would go for a vu duo m8, great solid boxes, loads of support and quite a lot of members on here have them, you can set the box up to share your sub with your friends/family. you could also turn your pc into a server with either ubuntu or debain and continue to use your technomate.

Any information provided on this site is not guaranteed in any way. Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, your use of the content, downloads and files, or any part thereof, is made solely at your own risk and responsibility. Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal. !! Linuxsat-Support.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any information stored or posted on this forum.

• I would go for a vu duo m8, great solid boxes, loads of support and quite a lot of members on here have them, you can set the box up to share your sub with your friends/family. you could also turn your pc into a server with either ubuntu or debain and continue to use your technomate.

the vu duo, is that an easy bit of kit to set, like plug and play to my router and all done via the box, its alot of money but got a hp n40l nas server that doesnt do much apart from hold hard drives with windows on, is there anyway i can do it from a windows os. i use SMB for xbmc no dont really wanna install a linus os from scratch, ive also got an acer revo which i could install debian or ubunu but woudlnt i lose xbmc plus would that mini acer revo be powerful enough to do it.

• you can run oscam for windows mate, although there are mixed feelings on it. I have used it off and on but I normally run on a linux server. I am assuming your friends and family all have to invest in a new box. Mutz is right the vu duo is probably the flagship out there at the moment but sometimes it all comes down to cost. You have some decisions to make m8 How much do you want to spend? do you want to watch one channel and record another at the same time. There are some cheap HD boxes out there the slybox or openbox (more or less the same) but not good on epg as its just now/next and limited to what you can do as its not linux open source. Picture is good tho. Dreambox 800 hd clone (I have three) OK box but cant watch one and record another prog. Can be a bit flakey sometimes but its a clone so I live with that.

The other thing you need to consider is how you are going to share I assume oscam. Have you read up on CS as there's a raft of info you need to be aware of clines port forwarding etc. lots of good info here tho.

Hope this helps m8

• Official Post

The problem with using a box as server is whenever you have problems and need to reflash or simillar (it will happen) your share will be unavailable, i gather from your post that your friends & family will be relying on only you for their viewing so it would be a better idea to grab an omnikey reader for less than a tenner from site sponsor and use an old pc, lappy or netbook(even one with a broken screen would do) and build a seperate server to do the job, once up & running they tend to stay that way taking the load of a server away from your stb & leaving you free to try new plugins, images ect without having to worry about others viewing.

For your card use either Oscam alone or oscam/cccam combination, have a look at the auto install guides in this section.

Linux PC Server Tutorials

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!