Static IP Address Problem On Ubuntu

There are 3 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 292 times. The last Post () by birdman99.

• Im wanting some advice about statics,my Ubuntu server is not showing up on my network but is connectable via winsc so its there.
    i assigned a staic ip to it within my router settings and that was fine yesterday,i then created a dyndns account and linked the ip address up with the dyndns i entered 192.168.0.xxx and thought that was that,i then went into d link router and filled in the dyndns settings in entering the details.
    now when i enter the dyndns name into tool bar the router comes up instead of server link and when i log into dyndns site the ip that i set 192.168.x.xxx has gone and my
    big ip 82.22.33.xxx is now in its place. defo something wrong somewhere with what ive set up.

• Hi, the dyndns account you set up sould be linked to your external ip address issued by your service provider, (just type in google "whats my ip" and you will find it) normally a dynamic ip that changes hence the need for an update client.. you then use port fowarding to direct to your static ip you set up on your server.. i got confused as hell when setting up my dm500, but eventually got my head round it, im still new to all this but have a read up on port fowarding and this should help :)

• Official Post

,i then created a dyndns account and linked the ip address up with the dyndns i entered 192.168.0.xxx and thought that was that,i then went into d link router and filled in the dyndns settings in entering the details.

When setting up a dyndns hostname you don`t use the ip address of your server, router or anything else on your home network.

You use the external ip address your Internet Service Provider sets for you, the whole point of the hostname is to keep your clients connected when your ISP changes your external ip address.

You need to go back into your dyndns account and modify your hostname.

Find your external ip address HERE - What's My IP Address? Networking Tools & More

big ip 82.22.33.xxx is now in its place

The external ip address is supposed to be there.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!