home plugs internet next door

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,489 times. The last Post () by seamouse.

• hello guys
    looking to help the bro, to setup dm800hd,
    he has no internet, but a house next door (about 50m away) has broadband,
    1. can i use homeplugs to get internet from one house to the other, - will it travel externally via power line,
    2. can i run 50m of ethernet between the houses
    or is there any other solution
    appreciate any help and input

• 1) no as it uses your ring main, not the street ( dumpest question ever seen)
    2) not really as max is 20 meters

get a wifi bridge, put in back of box, wifi it to your wireless router

1) no as it uses your ring main, not the street ( dumpest question ever seen)

seamouse- A question is something one asks if one does not know the answer already. All questions are legitimate, and your comment amounts to flaming. You have asked many questions. People who know the answers have helped you. Did we ever call your questions dumb?

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• quotes I found from a UK site with Q&A about homeplugs...

Q. Can homeplugs be used on different ring mains in a house?
    A. Yes its standard for a domestic home to have various ring mains, one power & lighting circuit for each floor and well as cooker circuits, outdoor plug and buildings etc, as long as all these come of the same consumer/fuse box the homeplug signal can happily cross this for each floor the same as your power does.

Q. Can the signal be used by houses around me?
    A. The meter acts as a natural block to the signal and should not leak past this. Homeplugs will also not cross phases and generally the phases are swapped on houses up the street to balance the load.
    If your are in shared accommodation then it would be advised to use the security setting on the plugs to block others joining, this is done by pressing the nmk/security/pair button on the first plug and then within minute pressing it on the other, this will lock them together and not allow others to join, if you add more plugs do the same again to add further units.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Have you tried picking up your WiFi without any boosting equipment, my pc will be up and running again tomrrow ive got a link to some info about increaseing your range which you should find useful

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• can i run 50m of ethernet between the houses

1)
    not really as max is 20 meters

50 metres will be no problem with the correct cable

Some info that may help

maximum lengths for cables

For Solid UTP:
    Fast Ethernet 100baseT 100 Meters (328 feet)
    Twisted Pair Ethernet 10baseT 100 Meters (328 feet)

Recommended maximum lengths for Patch Cables made from stranded cable:
    Fast Ethernet 100baseT 10 Meters (33 feet)
    Twisted Pair Ethernet 10baseT 10 Meters (33 feet)

Can I run CAT-5e ethernet cable outside?

CAT-5e cable is not rated for outdoor use, however it can generally be used without a problem.
    If possible, run the cable through some kind of conduit to prevent moisture
    Remember, 100 Meters is your max distance, without some kind of hub, bridge or amplification.

• i have 75m cable ethernet cable with not probleme. install from last year . not booster direct .

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!