Small little personal server

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 815 times. The last Post () by mckee25.

• I have had this server running a while couple of months maybe (i just used Google) and found all i needed, im pretty good with Linux myself have used it for sometime so that wasn't a obstacle to me.

I have been reading loads and a lot brought me to here, but only today decided to sign up, well what it is i have about 4 family members on my server and that's fine with me.

So upon my reading and wandering around the WWW i have discovered that you can swop with other people like myself, is this a safe venture to do so? as i do not know anyone personal to me to do such a thing and by the looks of it it seems to all be a online activity.

If i do swop, what are the benefits of doing it and what are the draw backs if any, can it damage my server?

Any information you could provide would be a great starting point for me.

Satisfy

• Sharing is a option which is open to you as you are already doing it with family members,at the moment you are getting nothing back from them in return,so your local (sub card) is supplying four people with the packages on it. This is not a problem as long as you are happy with that setup, a lot of members on here do that.

But the benefits of sharing with other peers is that you can access other channels which you may want to watch.You for example could have a full Sly HD card,and someone else might have JSC sports (13e),so with sharing you would be able to access JSC sports and your peer would be able to access Sly uk.

There are many locals available,with sharing you only have to pay for one,although some peers like to run 2 or 3 locals.

The drawbacks are that you need to be careful and pick your peers carefully,sharing is really about trusting who you share with,some peers could have other motives and could possibly be a payserver who would take great pleasure in sharing your card and then selling access to it to other people. Payservers or supports are not tolerated on this forum whatsoever.

Your server will not suffer any damage if sharing,the only problems you might come accross is it not running stable if you allow too many peers to connect to you.

One thing to consider is to go VIP on the forum,by doing this you will have a lot more options open to you.

p.s You will need to have a motorised setup or a multi LNB setup to access other sats if you want to access locals not on 28.2e (Sly Uk)

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• I think i have figured out from your fantastic reply what it all means and how it works, i do have a redundant 1.2m dish from a few years ago pointing to 13e before the wife came along that has not been used in over 2 years, but has weathered really well, not in a bad way, i may run a new wire from there to the front room and see if its in position, if not i can wobble it about maybe, see what free to air is on there, if it works i may consider fixing a motorized thing to it, (not down with the lingo) but i have searched the net and seen many a post about them.

I will take on board what you have said and have a little bit of time to fully digest what is possible, as i have seemed to have opened a whole new world from one post.

Thank you for your reply

• You have a good size dish there to experiment with,running a cable from it to your receiver will open up more options for you,this hobby is all about tweaking,experimenting,testing & breaking things!!! lol

Our forum sponser Sat-Shop.co.uk - Sat-Shop.co.uk Online Satellite and Electronics Store from Lavatronics will be able to supply you with any equipment you need,ie dish motor,lnb,cable etc etc click on the link and have a look.

Regards what is FTA on 13e, probably lots of news channels!!! lol

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• There are bits of software for phones and such that can help you fine tune your dish, depending on which mobile you have.

Obviously you can also buy equipment to help you as well but something you probably want to avoid at this stage :)

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• There are bits of software for phones and such that can help you fine tune your dish, depending on which mobile you have.

Obviously you can also buy equipment to help you as well but something you probably want to avoid at this stage :)

Not really into all the tech stuff, but the wife does have a ipad latest one as she uses it on the trains going to and from meetings for work, most i have done on it is play angry birds, so not sure if this is of anything you maybe thinking about that's possible to aid me in anyway, as apps are cheap as chips and a lot are for free, were unable to jailbreak it as her work has insisted she does not as it could open a security risk of her's and works private and confidential data.

Have you any idea of any apps that are possible available to aid me?

• Im not that clued up on apps for ios (the operating system used by ipads/phones) as i don't own one, and if it needs to be JB'd to install, perhaps someone else can advise you better on this.

There is one for the dreambox 500 as well, that I have posted, but im sure that someone else will be able to advise you on this better than me.

I am not obligated, or connected to any particular brand, seller or retailer so any opinions given are not biased in anyway.
    Any information given is for hobby and research purposes only, and whilst every effort is made to ensure that all my responses are accurate, - Any action you may take based on my replies is done so at your own risk.
    Viewing Premium Channels or Media, without paying for them is illegal and if you do so, you do so at your own risk!

BpGgW.jpg

• Well i have ventured out into the back of the garden to run a wire into the house, seeing as i am off for rest of the week, thought id do something constructive, only sign of a tiny bit of rust is around the edge of the dish, i think i will need to get a bit of gardening around the dish as a tree is hanging over, so i'm going to concentrate on doing that for a hour or so then i will pop down to the local TV shop that fits satellites and get some coax cable and run it to the house, i will set it up in the conservatory for the time being, as that is a lot closer and the wife will go nuts if i dirty our cream carpets being in and out of the house.

So once i have done the preparation i should be in a better place to determine the outcome of the redundant satellite dish if it is worth salvaging of start a fresh, if it is able to be salvaged then fingers crossed all i will need to buy is a motor, seeing that there are quite a number of them on the current market, is there any in particular that is advisable i should consider getting and ones to stay away from? two that keep popping up are a dark motor and techno-mate if memory serves to be correct, the two don't seem to be overly expensive at around £40-50

Any guidance on the type of motor is appreciated and if all is well with the satellite today i will purchase one at recommendation

• Official Post

I`ve had both and would recommend this Technomate TM-2600 Super DiSEqC Motor (full metal gears), i`ve been using the same model for the past 3+ years and it works a charm, never had one problem with it.

I had a Dark Motor for around a year and got rid, it had a problem with slack on the pole (backlash), I needed to take the dish down every few months and adjust it. The slightest bit of wind and the dish would wobble, channels were unwatchable even on the strongest transponders.

Code
    http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/dish-setup-single-sat-multi-sat-motorised-systems/155557-super-dark-motor-method-backlash-adjustment.html
  • Well, the weeding/foliage has been cut back and have washed the dish down with warm soapy water to rid of sap from the tree, i was quite mystified to say the least at how clean and new looking the satellite looks, I'm some what pleased with how well it has stood up to the the weather.

Upon the recommendation of motor i will purchase the one specified as £40 is not all that much and seems a worth while investment, I'm also going to update my receiver to a newer model, as to me it seems somewhat a waste not being able to watch HD and 3D on my 60" 3D TV, so i am certainly going to look for a good reliable box that i can record and set it to record as me and my partner work away quite a lot and we miss a lot of our programs that we like to indulge ourselves relaxing from a very busy life style due to work.

I have looked around the link provided at there equipment and a couple of receivers tick the boxes for me, I'm familiar with the Dreambox and see they have a few types also i have seen the VU receiver widely commented on so it will be a toss up between the 2, i may well purchase both just as comparison, unless any of you have a personal opinion on them, i always stride myself to accept peoples comments and opinions on matters i am lesser informed on, so on that note the choice is all yours, so please feel free to indulge your personal opinion on each receiver i have mentioned above, maybe a few pro's and con's, just to make my decision a lot easier for me.

Thanks for participating in my post, it is hugely appreciated

• This thread was unfortunately started by a member who was previously banned and then signed up again, due to this i am going to close this thread now.

fI7WHhv.png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!