cron jobs in debian 6 queries

There are 17 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 828 times. The last Post () by top gooner.

• after everyones help on my last problem especially from ten and mrgmx. i thought its better to ask if your out of your depth with linux,
    i used tens install oscam cccam 2.1.3 auto for debian 6, there is a folder in there under emu/script, are these the scripts i need to set cron jobs up with in cron manager, there are lots of different times people put in for there cron jobs after reading on the website.
    With oscam cccam i read somewhere that these 2 need to restart with in a specific time of each other, any help would b appreciated in setting this up after that the system should run automaticaly all by its self

cheers in advance

top gooner

• ok so ive decided to take a punt on the check/restart files in emu/scripts, i have setup the cron like this

0 3 * * * root /emu/script/oscript.sh
    35 3 * * * root /emu/script/cccam.sh
    */5 * * * * root /emu/script/check.sh
    35 2 * * * root /emu/script/configupdate.sh

will this work or should i change remove somthing, all those files are in the directory and chmod 755 aswell, i did try changing the times for oscript at the start to see if it would restart in webinfo but the time went pass and no restart in the info.

i struggle to really understand all of this, i did try a different time and path setting someone suggested on a thread somewhere which was oscam restart in cron didnt work either.

any help would b appreciated

• The cron format differs a bit per OS.

Where is this cron used ? On a receiver (which one), linux (which one), etc..

--

If the crontab below belongs to Ubuntu / Debian this should work..

• hello capncook yes they r in debian 6 buddy

they are the files which come with the auto install by ten oscam cccam 2.1.3

Try to add them as:

0 3 * * * root /emu/script/./oscript.sh
    35 3 * * * root /emu/script/./cccam.sh
    */5 * * * * root /emu/script/./check.sh
    35 2 * * * root /emu/script/./configupdate.sh

As I see that all other scripts called from crontab in debian6 are formatted this way...

• ok i have changed that fella, should any of these show up in /etc.......... cron daily, cron hourly, cron monthly at all.
    anyway of checking these r running mate

These lines should go into file /etc/crontab on debian

• With crontab -e, you can set a cronlist for the user that is logged in while doing this command.
    Actually, you are editting /var/spool/cron/crontabs/<username> with this command.

The /etc/crontab file is used system-wide, i prefer to use this one..

• didnt realise there was a crontab file down towards the bottem of the page looked in there and 2 of the files were already in there i tried adding the others using winscp it said i had to delete the file and do another one pressed cancel didnt want to risk it lol

• didnt realise there was a crontab file down towards the bottem of the page looked in there and 2 of the files were already in there i tried adding the others using winscp it said i had to delete the file and do another one pressed cancel didnt want to risk it lol

Just remove all files in /var/spool/cron/crontabs folder.

Edit /etc/crontab, and insert your lines in format i posted earlier..

Then, reboot to dirty re-init crond ..

• As what user do you login with WinSCP ?
    Do you use root ?

• no dont think so bud i just put username and password in when i set it up, that would explain alot because ive allways had problem with things like this.
    ok done the root way opens up file /var/spool/cron/crontabs folder. in that folder there is 2 files root and server name do i delete these 2 files

ok ive deleated those 2 files, and put the cron times from u in the other one, rebooted server, is that it my friend or should i be doing something else at all

• ok an update,

since running the scripts on weddsday night, i have had nothing but trouble with them, oscam wouldnt restart, cccam crashing, cccam keep restarting every hour or so taking 10 mins to to restart its self, loss of connections,so ive removed all scripts and all is working fine now, been up and running for bout 4.5 hours now with no probs..

so this must mean info on scripts r wrong or i have set cron wrong or changed something in a script. il keep u updated till sorted. but im sure the cron times/names you looked at are correct so thinking bout it it can only be the script itself......... il do some more digging

• ok done some more digging, changed some of the scripts to different ones, and guess what exactly the same, so ive removed all scripts from emu/scripts/ and rebooted, worked brilliant for 15hrs then all of a sudden its starting to muck up again.........
    i think its to do with cccam because the webinfo will b the one that stops working, where oscam webinfo is working but no activity on it at all.

thinking about going back to my old dm800 clone as server because i no that would work for weeks with out even restarting............
    if anyone has any idears that would help before i give up on it completely :-( it would be aprreciated

cheers peep (not back till bout 6ish tonight)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!