Which is best? Vu+ vs Dreambox vs Amiko

There are 26 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 10,946 times. The last Post () by ekkostar.

• I still think DMM have and always will price themselves out of most of the European and North American market, theres nothing that special about them as to why they are so expensive. Their appeal is mostly now only to die hard DMM fanatics, although if thats what they like who am i to argue.

I think the DM7080 is a brilliant bit of kit but I would still buy the Duo 2 over the DM7080 as i don't think the slightly higher specification of the DM7080 justifies the extra £300 over the price of the Duo2. That is what makes the Duo 2 a better box for me over the DM7080.

It is understandable that price does play a part for some prospective buyers. However, you cannot say the Duo2 is defacto a better box than the 7080HD. As you say you are considering the price, so, you're viewpoint is an opinion considered on the price.

Many people also consider that VU machines are too expensive.

It's a relative point as to why Dreamboxes seem expensive. To make the best they have to sink in a lot of R&D costs.

A clone manufacturer can simply copy the hardware and knock it off at a fraction of the cost. That's simply because they never bore the development costs to begin with. The same can to some extent be said of all machines/manufacturers that adopted Enigma which originally comes from Dream Multimedia.

VU is just one of the manufacturers further along that curve. They have in the past generally tried to concentrate on producing performance machines. That was their niche but they also now realise it is not possible to produce top end machines 'cheap'. Pioneering developments cost serious money.

Edited 2 times, last by ekkostar ().

• If opinion or cost came into it there are also many other manufacturers worthy of consideration.

Nah, not really. Nothing in this league. Even the Amiko Alien doesn't cut it at this level

The DM7080HD is the best machine on the market. Since it's launch it's pretty much forced the Duo2 into a price dive and knocked it off the perch. The best always costs money, facts are facts.

OK, as you seem to have the facts
    tell me, what can the DM7080HD do that a Vu Duo2 can't?

In my eyes the DM7080HD is Dreams last ditch effort to keep some market share

Edited once, last by codar: Removing links. ().

• Just a heads up if the DM7080HD is a little out of budget then the DM820 is now available. Both are as you would expect high quality and excellent machines looking to lead their respective class categories.

Based on the same chassis as the hugely successful DM800HDse it has 4Gb Flash and 2Gb ram, the blisteringly fast new processor as well as HDMI in/outs. It's a more affordable option if you are ok with the available pluggable tuner options. The form factor of DM800se was proven as excellent. The DM820 however lacks the USB 3.0 support that its big brother the 7080 offers.

Both machines will run Dreambox OS which is also known as Enigma 2.2.

• A clone manufacturer can simply copy the hardware and knock it off at a fraction of the cost. That's simply because they never bore the development costs to begin with. The same can to some extent be said of all machines/manufacturers that adopted Enigma which originally comes from Dream Multimedia.

Dmm might have started Enigma, but only after they had cloned the NOKIA D-box / d-box2

• If we go so far back then Enigma is way older than that!!!! Enigma wiki
    Hence the versions as we know them started as Enigma1 not Enigma....
    Just to lighten up this thread alittle as it seems ot be going off course...
    At the end of the day it´s down to the pocket of the average hobby follower.
    But it goes without saying to get what you pay for ..German´s use Polish metal and the rest use Chinese..
    What is fact is to get support you have to give support..
    When 4k is finally up and running as norm maybe we´ll see some better public releases...

• Dmm might have started Enigma, but only after they had cloned the NOKIA D-box / d-box2

Dream didn't really clone the D-Box. Kirch media went bankrupt and D-boxes (Nokia, Philips, Sagem) simply flooded the market and all 'interesting' things started happening when people got access to them. Dream simply picked up the pieces and moved ahead in the aftermath of Kirch.

The origins of Enigma go back earlier than Dream Multimedia although they formally registered the trademark in 2008

Trade mark name : Enigma
    Trade mark No : 006611636
    Trade mark basis: CTM on which IA is based
    Date of receipt : 14/01/2008
    Number of results: 1 of 1

Filing date: 14/01/2008
    Date of registration: 07/01/2009
    Expiry Date: 14/01/2018
    Nice Classification: 9 ( Nice classification)
    Trade mark: Individual
    Type of mark: Word
    Acquired distinctiveness: No
    Applicant’s reference: 08-0032
    Status of trade mark: Registered
    Filing language: German
    Second language: English

Nice Classification: 9
    List of goods and services Operating systems, drivers, set-top boxes, satellite receivers, digital television receivers.

Name: Dream Property GmbH
    ID No: 278893

There was then the massive legal case of Dream Multimedia vs Satco in 2011-2012 where Dream attempted to protect Enigma. Satco won the case on technicalities. Satco is Germany's largest distributor of satellite equipment and much of the cause of the battle was they were distributing VU+ receivers and promoting them as Enigma based receivers. There are some other things which unfortunately I will not be able to divulge publicly.

Dreambox OS is now being known as Enigma 2.2 and it apparently has closed source elements and features only restricted to Dream. I believe these were being touted as 'Goliath'. The DM7080HD was the first machine and the next is the DM820.

Dependent on exchange rates and variables at launch the DM7080HD can be had for around £550 and the DM820 for around £370.

Since the launch of the DM7080HD, VU have had to start to slash prices of the Duo2

Edited 8 times, last by ekkostar ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!