Best VU+ Duo Image for genuine Duo

There are 39 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 8,121 times. The last Post () by thatfellow.

• Official Post

A tip for setting up the EPG is to show bouquet on launch when you press the EPG button, makes it much easier to find what you are looking for compared to searching through a random channel list..

When viewing the epg press the menu button, then set show bouquet on launch - yes..

With Bouquet on launch:

Without Bouquet on launch:

• If you are using my backup then you are best running the autobouquets plugin and doing a full scan and update the channel lists, considering I made this backup a few weeks ago now - no need to use any other lists if you are just using sly UK as this will sort it out for you.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

A tip for setting up the EPG is to show bouquet on launch when you press the EPG button, makes it much easier to find what you are looking for compared to searching through a random channel list..

When viewing the epg press the menu button, then set show bouquet on launch - yes..

thanks for the tip master G, I will change that right away...

If you are using my backup then you are best running the autobouquets plugin and doing a full scan and update the channel lists, considering I made this backup a few weeks ago now - no need to use any other lists if you are just using sly UK as this will sort it out for you.

Will do muso & Great Backup, Thanks for all the hours you have saved me m8.. Just a quick question.. Is there a downside to saving the epg to the HD rather than the USB Key? im just trying to keep the costs to an absolute minimum.. But if it has something to do with Hard drive spin up delay time or something like that, £10 is little to ask...

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• there are a few reasons why it is best not to store picons and epg data to the HDD - notably access times and power saving - your HDD will usually go on to power saving after a few minutes - but if you are like me and channel hop, then it will never spin down - on the other hand, if you don't channel hop, then the epg and picons will take a while to appear as the HDD would have to come out of power saving before it shows up. If you are using permanent timeshift, then you might not want to worry about this, but I also think it is a good idea for max performance to ensure that the recording disk is as dedicated as possible.

• OK m8, point taken m8, I will setup HDisk for recording only.... About the picons, I have no idea how they are set on this image.. All I know is that they are loading in the EPG but I did not configure anything, they just came in with the backup. Are they currently stored on the internal flash?
    Another thing I noticed, was that I had to manually load the EPG a few times today as it seemed to get lost as I was testing the box.. Do I have to reload after each reboot or should it just load from USB Key at box startup?
    I'm going to find it hard to part with this box :( Its deffo the best I have ever used..

Cheers m8..

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• picons are stored in flash - if you have a USB stick it would be best to download a set and install to USB instead - you need to go to menu - setup - system - epg - settings and chose to save EPG to usb stick - also go to menu - setup - system - epg - crossepg - set your epg settings for daily scheduled updates - and i always choose to force epg reload on boot

• Ok, I'll get cracking on that when i get home m8. I noticed Last night i set two programs to record from the epg but there were no recordings there this morning... Is there another setting to send epg to recorder or something? Thanks guys...

• OK guys, thanks for all the help so far.. I'm pretty happy with everything apart from 2 last bits of information I need..

1. How do I move my picons from the Flash memory to the USB Stick and tell the box to look there for them?
    2. What do I have to set up to be able to schedule recordings directly from the epg? (I scheduled 3 recordings from the epg last night and there was no sign of them, even though I can record normal TV from the record button without any problem)

thanks

• Ok, here goes

1,Your picons are in the directory usr/share/enigma2 if stored in the flash memory,first mount your usb,then all you need to do is move the "picon" folder to media/usb

Thats it,just restart the gui,no need to tell the box to find them there.

2,To be able to record directly from the epg, when you select a programme from the epg you want to record,select it with the "ok" button this should open a Timer Entry,just check the deatils on it and then press ok (green button). Thats it,it should record it automatically.

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• I came across an option in Settings on this ViX image within recording settings:

Disk space to be reserved for recordings (In GB)

It was set to 40GB on a 500GB Hard drive... What does this setting mean & should it be the full Hard Drive Space?

The main reason I ask is because I got an error saying Disk full today even though there is only 5GB Used.

Thankyou

I came across an option in Settings on this ViX image within recording settings:
    Disk space to be reserved for recordings (In GB)
    It was set to 40GB on a 500GB Hard drive... What does this setting mean & should it be the full Hard Drive Space?
    The main reason I ask is because I got an error saying Disk full today even though there is only 5GB Used.

Thankyou

UPDATE, I found info on this..

"once the free space gets down to 40GB, the box will delete stuff out of the trashcan to ensure you always have that much space for recordings"

So this setting is just to make sure that the allocated Space in GB is always reserved, it does not (as I thought) mean that this (40 GB) is the only available space for recordings..

• UPDATE, I found info on this..

"once the free space gets down to 40GB, the box will delete stuff out of the trashcan to ensure you always have that much space for recordings"

So this setting is just to make sure that the allocated Space in GB is always reserved, it does not (as I thought) mean that this (40 GB) is the only available space for recordings..

There is also a option whereby you can specify how long items remain in the trashcan before the system automatically deletes them, for example 7 days.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• Thanks m8, I have it set to 10 days.. I just noticed an issue yesterday though.. I have all recordings set to go to HDD but when I used an FTP program to connect to the box, I found that the 4GB USB Stick was full with recordings & the picons folder had moved from the USB Stick to the HDD.. I have no clue how this happened & I wanted to give this box to my mother tomorrow.. Im getting a bit stressed out now cos I can not figure this out & I want the box to be as fool proof as possible when I give it to her..

Another thing, I updated the bouquets with the auto bouquet updater plugin for Republic of Ireland settings, but the main Irish channels were still scattered over a few bouquets so I want to create an Irish Channels Bouquet with just the 8 or so Irish channels at the start of the bouquets menu. I created the Bouquet from the menu but I cant figure out how to copy channels into it. I am also curious if this "Irish Channels" Bouquet I created will stay after I do another Auto Bouquet update from the plugin?

thanks guys.

• there are a few reasons why it is best not to store picons and epg data to the HDD - notably access times and power saving - your HDD will usually go on to power saving after a few minutes - but if you are like me and channel hop, then it will never spin down - on the other hand, if you don't channel hop, then the epg and picons will take a while to appear as the HDD would have to come out of power saving before it shows up. If you are using permanent timeshift, then you might not want to worry about this, but I also think it is a good idea for max performance to ensure that the recording disk is as dedicated as possible.

Yes this is correct for picons being stored on a HDD but not for EPG data. in fact the HDD is probably the best place for EPG data as it has a tendency to corrupt very easily leading to a very large EPG.dat file which can overwhelm internal flash and USB sticks quite rapidly.

For the record EPG data is like Bouquets stored in live memory and only read from or written to at boot up and shutdown.

Yes this is correct for picons being stored on a HDD but not for EPG data.

Thanks m8, I tried to setup the box so that the HDD is for recording only & The 4GB USB stick is for EPG & picons.. BUT... Somewhere along the line those settings were ignored & EPG & Picons ended up back on HDD.. Since my last setup did not seem to run smoothly I will try the EPG & picons on HDD.. Will this mean that the HDD will never get to power off because even a channel change will request picons data from the HDD...

in fact the HDD is probably the best place for EPG data as it has a tendency to corrupt very easily leading to a very large EPG.dat file which can overwhelm internal flash and USB sticks quite rapidly.

In this scenario, Does the Vu+ sort out this corrupted EPG data itself with a reboot or do I have to manually have to remove old corrupted EPG & re-download it

For the record EPG data is like Bouquets stored in live memory and only read from or written to at boot up and shutdown.

This probably answers my second question if I understand it correctly.. Is the EPG & Picons data loaded into flash memory from the HDD on startup? And if so, does this mean that the HDD will be able to spin down when Im switching channels and using EPG?

• Thanks m8, I tried to setup the box so that the HDD is for recording only & The 4GB USB stick is for EPG & picons.. BUT... Somewhere along the line those settings were ignored & EPG & Picons ended up back on HDD.. Since my last setup did not seem to run smoothly I will try the EPG & picons on HDD.. Will this mean that the HDD will never get to power off because even a channel change will request picons data from the HDD...

yes thats correct, every time you change channel or pull up the infobar / epg or basically any screen that has a picon displayed the HDD will have to spin up to find that picon, This will cause the HDD to keep spinning almost permanently, it will also drastically slow down channel zap times etc as much as say 4 to 5 seconds per channel change.

In this scenario, Does the Vu+ sort out this corrupted EPG data itself with a reboot or do I have to manually have to remove old corrupted EPG & re-download it

no but it does allow you enough time to diagnose a corrupt EPG.dat file and deal with it, for example if you had the EPG saved to the internal flash and it corrupted it could in a matter of hours fill the flash of the receiver to the point where only a full reflash would sort it. To delete a corrupt EPG.dat file you first need to put enigma to sleep using a telnet session as just deleting the file while in normal use will result in the same corrupt EPG.dat file being re-created when the box is powered down.

This probably answers my second question if I understand it correctly.. Is the EPG & Picons data loaded into flash memory from the HDD on startup? And if so, does this mean that the HDD will be able to spin down when Im switching channels and using EPG?

The best and fastest place to store picons is on the internal flash of the receiver and a close second being a mounted USB stick, the best place for the EPG.dat file is the HDD with a close second again being a Mounted USB stick.

• Just to add, there were some quite large changes made to the way HDD's and other mounted devices are handled in the image a few builds ago, a small few people ( I have 4 receivers running the latest Builds Of ViX 3.0 and all are fine ) started to suffer from HDD's and Mounted USB devices becoming no longer recognized, anf failing to remount as a result. This has now been fixed in build 390 which was pushed to our server late last night / early this morning so try that version.

yes thats correct, every time you change channel or pull up the infobar / epg or basically any screen that has a picon displayed the HDD will have to spin up to find that picon, This will cause the HDD to keep spinning almost permanently, it will also drastically slow down channel zap times etc as much as say 4 to 5 seconds per channel change.

OK, I moved picon folder back to Flash, Now I have just recordings & EPG on the HDD..

no but it does allow you enough time to diagnose a corrupt EPG.dat file and deal with it, for example if you had the EPG saved to the internal flash and it corrupted it could in a matter of hours fill the flash of the receiver to the point where only a full reflash would sort it. To delete a corrupt EPG.dat file you first need to put enigma to sleep using a telnet session as just deleting the file while in normal use will result in the same corrupt EPG.dat file being re-created when the box is powered down.

OK, so I will have to check up on the EPG file every now & Then. I did not want to have to do that cos I'm sending box to mothers house & I was hoping it would just tick along without needing more administration. Is there any way that I can set the old EPG to be removed & a new one built from scratch at startup or after corrupted EPG is detected?

& About the Update......

This has now been fixed in build 390 which was pushed to our server late last night / early this morning so try that version.

OK, will do m8.. If I do the update, do I have to reconfigure all settings or will it just overlay?

P.P.S. When I checked for Update, I got "Nothing to Update"

• There is currently no way to detect if the EPG has corrupted remotely but i would not worry too much and you certainly dont need to check it on a daily or even weekly basis. as for the updates build 390 is available via both online updates and on the OpenViX download server, if you choose the online update option you need not setup again as it will update and patch the version already on the receiver.

just to add if your setting this up for a relative you will still have to perform a certain amount of maintence as with all Enigma based receivers, they are not plug and play and require a certain level of constant user interaction to keep them going.

just to add if your setting this up for a relative you will still have to perform a certain amount of maintence as with all Enigma based receivers, they are not plug and play and require a certain level of constant user interaction to keep them going.

OK, What kind of user interaction to keep them going m8? Just channel updates etc? I don't mind as long as I can do it all remotely through TeamViewer.

When I checked for update through Menu / Setup / Software update, I just get "Nothing to Upgrade"

VU+ DUO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!