Raspberry PI Virgin

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,098 times. The last Post () by vanginger.

• Hi guys..

Been reading up a bit on these raspberry pi yokies lately..

And thinking of picking one up for Xmas as I'm off the month of January and have plenty of time to play with it!

No expecting much out of it besides Internet using and maybe use it as a multimedia centre..

Just a few question's really..

Is there many OS out there for it? And are they hard to load?

Hoping to use a Android/Iphone or wireless mouse to control it..

What does it use to power it, as I've been told a micro usb phone charger will do them?

Been looking at a few different shop's so must pick one and stick with it i'd say.

Sound
    All the best
    Glenviewjf

• Hi mate - probably can answer all your q's here

The latest revision has 512mb ram so should fair better.

Code
    http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions

above link has details of all the operating systems, and it is clear which ones use XBMC.
    If you are looking to use this as an XBMC multimedia centre, then you have a few options - xbian, raspbmc and openelec
    These all use XBMC - and this can work fairly well. I have found that openelec performs the best as it has a very small footprint - however, with most things stripped out, it is difficult to do anything else - for example, installing Oscam

Raspbmc is the most popular, and I think has the edge of the bunch but I am settling for openelec for the time being

All 3 systems are really simple to install. You can use lots of things to power it - an old smartphone charger, a powered hub, or even the USB port of your TV

You can get a smartphone app for controlling xbmc with android, or you can get a cheap media center remote as i have that works well, or indeed a wireless keyboard/mouse

you could also do with buying the mpeg2 licence - think it costs £3.60

hope this helps

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

you could also do with buying the mpeg2 licence - think it costs £3.60

Whats the mpeg2 license?

Sounds a great little thing, something you can play with for and not be afraid of making sh*t of it for the price..

Not interested in it for cardsharing anyways, just for messing about!

• You don't need any 3rd party remotes If your Raspberry is connected via HDMI and the TV set can do CEC. All your TV remotecontroll signals goes thrgough HDMI to Raspberry and XBMC will know how to use those. Xbmc will say at start "... CEC connected." Try. :)

• Very true but in using HDMI CEC i found that it lost focus on sleep and failed to regain on resume. It may be different depending on the brand of TV but this is my experience with the LG Simplink.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• RaspBMC is great, especially when used with a MySQL database with a main media centre PC and android tablets etc..
    SD card choice is very important though. Mine used to crash loads, now I have a 32gb Sandisk Extreme it, never had a problem.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!