upgrade iphone from ios 4.3.4. to 5.1.1.

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 925 times. The last Post () by kemestri.

• Hi, complete novice here as far as iphone concerned.
    i have been reading the threads but seem to go around in circles.
    i understand how to jailbreak my iphone 4, but i understand i must first upgrade the i.o.s to 5.1.1
    at the moment it is 4.3.4.

can anyone please explain the steps and what files /software i need.

i am sure the answer is already out there but i just seem to be getting more confused so any help would be appreciated.

• if its the iphone 4 (not the 4s) you can jailbreak ios6 (this is a tethered jailbreak however)

you need to download 5.1.1 ipsw (use google to find a download, itunes will only allow ios6 now) and select it when restoring via itunes. (do not download ios6 if you want ios 5.1.1)

you then jailbreak as normal via redsnow or any other jailbreak program

• if its the iphone 4 (not the 4s) you can jailbreak ios6 (this is a tethered jailbreak however)

you need to download 5.1.1 ipsw (use google to find a download, itunes will only allow ios6 now) and select it when restoring via itunes. (do not download ios6 if you want ios 5.1.1)

you then jailbreak as normal via redsnow or any other jailbreak program

This will only work when you had your phone earlier jailbroken on 5.1.1

If not so, and you don't have the BLOB file for 5.1.1 for your phone, this is not possible!

--

This will leave you with 1 option, and that is upgrade to ios6, and jailbreak that tethered.
    (correct me if i'm wrong)

• download ipsw 5.1.1

1 - Launch iTunes (make sure iTunes is up-to-date)
    2 - Connect device to computer
    3 - Select your device in the list (e.g.: Filip’s iPhone)
    4 - click the “summary” tab
    5 - hold the Alt key (on Mac OS X) / the Shift key (on Windows) and hit “restore”
    6 - iTunes will show a dialog allowing you to select the IPSW file you want your device restored to
    7- select the IPSW firmware bundle you want to restore to and hit “choose”
    8- be patient and wait for the installation process to be completed by iTunes

you can have multiple ispw's, but cant go back to an earlier version without the ssh blob. once on 5.1.1 use tiny umbrella and save your blobs

if you get it to 5.1.1 and save blobs you could also try ios6 tethered. if you dont like it. downgrade

• you can have multiple ispw's once on 5.1.1 use tiny umbrella and save your blobs

So, just for my information.. This means apple is still signing 5.1.1 ?!

My iSHShit reports that its not...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!