How do you use a USB to RS232 cable?

There are 2 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,313 times. The last Post () by Montay.

• I accidentally bricked my Amiko Alien 2 box and I need to connect to it with an RS232 cable but I dont have an RS232 port on my laptop. So I purchased a USB to RS232 null modem cable.

These are the instructions I'm trying to follow...

* Connect the receiver to your PC with Null-Modem (Cross-Wired RS232) cable
    * Open a Terminal application (Like PuTTY)
    * Select your COM port, set the baud rate to 115200 and open the connection
    * Turn the receiver ON

When I open up PuTTy I dont know which connection to use because only the serial connection allows me to enter a Baud rate. Even though the direct connection to the laptop is with USB, I have still tried the serial connection option with COM1 and COM2 but it doesnt seem to be working. Can anyone help me with this?

• I know with the Vu range using the rs232/USB connection never seemed to work....i wonder if you are having same problem!

I think it needs to be a dedicated rs232 (9pin) port on your computer? i got one off fleabay in the end for about £6 and whacked it in the back of desktop!

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

Spark STI 7162 Support

Support for Amiko Alien 2, Delta, Dynavision 7162, Galaxy Innovations Avatar 2, Galaxy Innovations Avatar 3, Golden Media Spark Triplex, Golden Media Spark One, Icecrypt S3700 CHD, SAB Unix Triple HD, Samsat Linux 2, Satcom 7162, Sogno Spark Triple, Startrack SRT 2020 HD Plus, Superbox Z500, Truman TOP-BOX, Truman TopBox 2 Tuner, Visionnet Falcon, Spark STI 7162 Receivers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!