wat debian to use on intel celeron computer

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 543 times. The last Post () by dreamuser.

• first HAPPY NEWYEAR TO YOU ALL..

my friend give me a computer it says on it intel celeron and i thing it has 256 of ram, i have debian 6.0.5 that i installed with no problems in my other pc, but every time i try to install it into this it just freeze. it loads up the install screen and i click install it looks like its going to do it, the screen goes blank then it goes back to the install screen but this time its jumping or flickering, i tryed to install clearos and it worked np, but no sure how to use that, so want to install the same os that i use on my other pc, is it the wrong version, im not sure if the 1 i have is 32 or 64 bit, what is the best one to use in thei machine, just incase u need to no, i want to install oscam/cccam on it..
    dreamuser

• i read on the debian website that as little as 32mb of ram does if its the basic install, i dnt want to buy more ram and theirs something wrong with the pc, has any1 installed debian 6 in a pc using 256 ram.
    dreamuser

• http://linuxsat-support.com/li…l-package-debian-6-a.html
    Follow this to a T.
    DON'T install it with a Graphical User Interface. You can access your server remotely, and with 256mb I cannot see a big install with a GUI working well at all. A flavour of debian on a 256MB Raspberry Pi is possible, so you might get away with it, but bear in mind the Raspberry Pi has a different architecture, so it is hard to draw a comparison, but I managed to get the above installed on a very old laptop with 512MB ram (intel celeron as well) and without a GUI was perfect, but as soon as you try using this with a GUI then it is very slow.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• i tryed the above, it wont install either, i tryed to install winxp and the same thing happens, it says somefing like, inspecting your computer, then goes blank and the computer starts to make a wierd noise, so the only thing that seems to work is clearos and i having a clue how to use it lol, i have never seen this fault before
    dreamuser

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!