Help backing up my own Vix image, it just wont work!!

There are 16 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,736 times. The last Post () by xsmit.

• So heres the problem,
    I download a backup(VU Solo) VIX image from here and then i tweak it a little like change the bootlogo and add a couple of plugins like rats channel updater and one channel or the tv3 player, then i setup the epg and add the picon folder.

Then i go to the VIX section and select image backup and try and do a backup.....It will start fine and then just fail and give some errors. Then when i restart the solo it sometimes wont boot because the backup has somehow corrupted the image! Or if i go to try and backup again after a restart it will crash.
    This only happens with vix and I have no problem backing up an open pli image using backup suite.

I only managed to get vix to do a backup on my duo once without fail.

Its a pain having to start from scratch to flash vix back after trialing another image.
    What am i doing wrong??

• the last error referred to something like failed /phyton/....

But your right i need to take a snapshot of it next time.

Is it only me with this problem with vix?

• as a long shot sounds like those last added plugins are under a different code...
    python ,the original ,python 2.6 , python 2.7..
    before starting from scratch again ¿ have you tried making a backup of the backup before the added/installed plugins,picons etc you put on afterwards??
    If not ,then reflash with the backup,, try making a backup,then add 1 plugin ,then again try making another backup..and so on...
    I know how many hours are spent at this but to get to the "root" of the problem( excuse the pun) so you and others can benefit from this experience...

• try enabling debug logs and set them to save to a USB stick, then if the same happens again you can send those logs directly to us ( The ViX team ) so we can try to see whats going wrong for you.

also where are you saving the backups to ? and what exact build are you on ??. what exact plugins are you installing ? as maybe something your installing is reacting negatively to something in the backup. basically the more details you can provide the better we will be able to help you.

Last but not least rather than trying to use a backup have you tried to flash the box and set it up your self to rule out any conflicts as i said above ?

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• I know how many hours are spent at this but to get to the "root" of the problem( excuse the pun) so you and others can benefit from this experience...

I really have spent hours trying to make it work :ah:

Thanks for the advice, Ill try the backup of the backup image to see if the image has taken to the box as i suppose its presumptuous to think if it was backed up its fine....
    Ill also give a fresh image a go and add plugins 1 by 1.
    Im backing up to the usb thats mounted as hdd.I can see the backup folder in there using DCC.

Will report back

• i used to get this all the time with my original solo, could never create a backup image, it used to just crash and then needed a reflash

i then installed a swap file and it works everytime now

• creating a backup is a very memory hungry process, especially on low ram boxes such as the duo and solo, this is also why we removed the "continue in the background" option when creating backups.

• i used to get this all the time with my original solo, could never create a backup image, it used to just crash and then needed a reflash

i then installed a swap file and it works everytime now

I don't feel so alone now......
    How do I install a swap file?

Cheers

• unfortunately it's almost impossible to gleam any useful information from that screenshot, we really would need a Debug log to progress further.

Do you know of a guide to setup a swap file Pheonix?
    Tried doing it but it tells me swap cant be setup with a fat formated usb. Does the usb need to be in a ext3 format as i dont see an option to format the usb....

• Official Post

made a swap file of 96mb on my 16gb usb and hey presto the backup worked.......

Do i leave the swap file in place now?

Of course you can buddy & by the sound of things you are very close to using all available ram so its going to come in handy.
    @ pheonix other images with built in backup functions and also the backup suite plugin all create a swapfile automatically before the script starts the backup process, is there a reason vix have decided not to in thier own backup script. Personally i never had any problems backing up vix on original solo im just curious.

• Of course you can buddy & by the sound of things you are very close to using all available ram so its going to come in handy.
    @ pheonix other images with built in backup functions and also the backup suite plugin all create a swapfile automatically before the script starts the backup process, is there a reason vix have decided not to in thier own backup script. Personally i never had any problems backing up vix on original solo im just curious.

Thats something that would have to be brought up with the ViX coder andy blac, he is open to suggestions and will often incorporate them into the image if enough interest is shown. I do know that andy has recently cleaned up a lot of code closing down a lot of the unnecessary running processes when making backups etc but i'm not sure if creating a swap file is the best way to go my self.

• I had this problem last year running vix 2.4 cant remember what number it was working then one day I did a backup and got the same symptoms even after re-flashing was still happening .

On Vix 3.0 now and all works fine.

VU+ SOLO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!