What is a Clone?

There are 9 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,042 times. The last Post () by budley.

• The VU+ Solo2 box is new so has not (yet) been cloned.

Basically, a clone is a close copy of an original receiver, using cheaper parts, and assembled in factories with cheap labour, such as in countries like China. There are countermeasures however, where makers of the original receivers are able to give a unique ID to each original receiver, so that certain image and driver updates will not work in the clone machines. The clones are breaking the copyright of the legitimate original manafacturer, as all logos and packaging attempt to replicate the original. It is exactly the same as getting fake designer wear in that respect.

Dreamboxes have been cloned for a long time now, and the quality of the clones would have improved over time, but never to the original standard. At the same time, this drives the price down, and can cause problems for the original manafacturer.

Vu+ Solo and Duo clones are very common, but there have been a number of problems with regards to quality, especially around the power supply. Now, think about that for a minute and you can see the problem. Cheap copies made with cheap parts, problems with power supplies, less working images, less support, and a lot of the time your guarantee is not worth anything, so IMO I would steer away from Vu+ clones altogether.

There are receivers that are out there, cheaper than the ones being cloned, that are originals in their own right, meaning they don't attempt to copy another receiver and steal intellectual rights - just click on the sponsor link, and look at the range of E2 receivers and you will see.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Great info musogeek, I dont think i will buy a clone but i am seriously considering buying an original box, only thing is I dont know much about them. I have just sat the wife down and talked to her about getting one and canceling our s*y package and she is all for it. Only problem is i would like to get russian and english channels on it as the wife wants the russian ones. Do u know if the Solo2 can get russian channels on it too?

• If you read the reply by cazuela to your earlier thread, you will get your answer - All enigma2 based receivers such as the solo2 can get SD/HD channels, and it is all to do where your satellite dish is pointing, your position and the size of the dish, rather than the receiver as to what channels you can pick up.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• ok I am not sure which way my dish is pointing but the dish dimensions are Height: 58.0cm, Width: 74.0cm, Depth: 61.7cm. I done the dish finder thing and i think my dish may be pointing in the opposite direction to the Russian satellite :-(

Just took a look at my dish and it is pointing in right general direction

• well get a secound dish and point it were you wont it because the Vu+ solo2 ,duo,ultimo ect come with twin tuners or even better get a 1m motorised dish up there and you will get loads more chioce . :thumbsup:

• Yeah i would like a motorized dish, i was looking at them today not sure which 1 is best any advise on them?

well get a secound dish and point it were you wont it because the Vu+ solo2 ,duo,ultimo ect come with twin tuners or even better get a 1m motorised dish up there and you will get loads more chioce . :thumbsup:

• same again mate all depends on what you wont to pay !! i have this one Gibertini OP100L 1m aluminium Dish with a Inverto Black Ultra Twin lnb with a Supreme Intellingent DARK MOTOR and a Vu+ duo and never looked back im just waiting to see what the vu+ duo2 has and costs now lol.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!