Debian and CCcam up and running Thanks to Amazing tutorial by Ten Below !

There are 5 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,582 times. The last Post () by birdman99.

• yes it is Ten to three in the morning
    Yes it was down to TEN BELOWS amazing tutorial that enabled me to do it !
    here is a link for anyone else interested
    http://linuxsat-shares.com/lin…-auto-install-script.html
    Thanks for all your help and patience here over the last week !
    oh yeah and inspiration !
    if this place didn't exist nor would my debian based cccam share server !
    thanks team i will be joining the v i p crew after some sleep !
    if i can get some i'm buzzin !
    Peace up ! Viva la revolution

Rik

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• after i read various articles on the net about pc servers and actually having a spare pc made me think, " i can get my box back from being a slave to all my peers!"
    i like to mess around and play with my sat recievers as do we all (channell lists-skins-epgs'-plugins) all of which require reboots ! Being the honourable sharer that i am i always feel guilty when i REBOOT thinking " i hope no one's watching - knowing full well there's likely to be someone "......... so i set about the solution !
    A pc server !

my first attempt was following TEN BELOWS cccam with ubuntu ..................... which still sounds appealing !!! but just didn't work out for me ! it took me about three days of following the tutorial and hitting dead ends before i got it up and running however it didn't fully work as i expected .... i (being a complete novice) had obviously not done sommit right or by procedure because the desired results were not achieved ! i had cccam info pages but my f lines and clines which are all local network weren't being read ..... i spent two further days playing around with all the files in ubuntu ..... i have searched every folder file directory ! every right click option ...... i did notice from all this the similarity between the file folder structure on the ubuntu and debian operating systems and that they themselves resemble what i've seen in the dm500 and tm600 sat boxs i have ! Anyhows i didn't mention that i have never done anything this deep on a computer ie installing operating systems from burned discs with iso data i had downloaded ! i thought that in itself was pretty cool ! then trying to type in commands stuff and not knowing what any of it means ! its like a massive jig saw ...... whilst trawling through all the various posts about ubuntu and cccam i kept noticing posts that mentioned Debian( And it worked straight out of the box using the hardware i had {smargo card reader} )...... then i found the CCcam and debian with auto install script so i bit the bullett rebooted and held down F8 after making the NET install iso debian start up dvd........................... The begining of a further 2 days and 3 nights of trying to do sommit i'm clueless about ! THANKS TO LINUXSAT-SHARES.COM i got the inspiration and know how needed !
    i firstly follwed the tutorial through without reading it fully or understanding that it wasn't in the exact same procedure order as the start up i had ! after spending 3 hours installing the entire debian desktop and operating system found it didn't work !!!! But at least i got to see debian in all its glory ! quiet nice but my first impressions of using the desktop enviroment (as a totall prick novice whos way out of his depth and cant actually swim ) "were ".....i think i prefer Ubuntu...." So by now it was 2am and the reboot F8 option was looming ! i went back and re read the TUTORIAL again armed with the knowledge of a prevous install experiance under my belt and noticed that i hadn't needed to load the entire debian operating system merely just the web server files ! What else had i "OVERLOOKed" .........oh quiet a few things actually ! ...... the partition instruction for files....ie home/var/ect....i had used the "all in one folder option "....=Fool !!! then i had overlooked that the user name in the tutorial was the user name that had to be used as some of the files actually require it >>>>> i had sped through with my normal user names and passwords ect = numpty........... So ?? yes you've guessed it Reeboot F8 debian install for the 3rd attempt ! however this time i followed the tutrial slowly and by now had started to become familiar with the start up procedure and didn't overlook the simple yet important instructions as before mentioned !
    i got it all loaded up and tried out the web info pages and it was there ! i then ftp'd the server a cccam.cfg and seconds later after a reboot the CCcam.cfg file was being read as was the card in the smargo BUZZIN ....... i can now play with my sat box again and not worry about my fellow card sharers suffering .... we all hate it when it freezes after all ......... !!
    So from here its all up hill as i'm trying to learn my way around the "Debian server" ! it doesn't have a desktop enviroment and i'm obviously a total noob to the idea of the cmd/root kernal instruction idea But i'm enjoying learning ! keep up the good works and thanks again ! V I P lounge next !
    Any pointers or useful commands and maintenece instructions would be appreciated
    ALWAYS FOLLOW TUTORIALS EXACTLY or DONT EXPECT THEM TO WORK........sometimes it takes more than once to get it right too especially a total novice like me !!!!!

Rik

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• Official Post

What a great post Rik,
    Im sure everyone of us can relate to this having been in a simillar situation ourselves ( many times myself )
    Almost giving up then the joy & relief when the bloody thing finally works lol.
    Im sure your story will help many in the same boat as you were 24hrs ago.
    Thanks again for posting about your experience, it really will make the difference for someone.
    Rest assured we will work on some tutorials as there has been alot of interest in this section lately.

Best Regards
    Ten Below

• Great post, this is so the case when trying new stuff . I remember my first attempts.
    I'm now at a bit of a crossroads my self thinking about setting up a server for uk channels . Don't know where to start ha ha

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!