More arrests for cardsharing

• Two new cases of the practice of piracy known as Cardsharing card sharing or have been brought to justice in the Czech Republic and Sl***kia.

The cases involved theft UPC DTH services, enabling illicit reception of payment services UPC.

After criminal complaints filed by UPC DTH, whose parent company Liberty Global is a member of AAPA (Audiovisual Piracy Alliance), the issue was addressed in collaboration with I***** conditional access provider to Freesat system services and authorities local police in the Czech Republic and Sl***kia.

The action led to successful prosecutions. The defendants both pleaded guilty and accepted the agreements obliging them to pay UPC DTH several thousand Euros in compensation.

In the case of the Czech Republic, the court closed the criminal case because the defendant pleaded guilty, was established to cover the damages claimed and had no criminal record.

The court also imposed a probationary period of two years. In the case of Sl***kia, the police successfully closed the investigation and the prosecutor closed the case by the fact that the defendant pleaded guilty, was established to cover the damages claimed and had no criminal record.

Welcoming the decision of the executive director of the AAPA, Sheila Cassells, said "these are cases that show that this type of theft is serious and that local officials fully support the need for the protection of legitimate services our members provide to paying customers in these countries.

AAPA will continue to support its members to take the necessary measures. "Ternsjö Magnus, CEO of UPC DTH added," we have made many improvements in technology to limit the ability of thieves to steal our services but can not fully succeed without the support local police to arrest and prosecute those who try to circumvent our security to provide services to others illegally.

"We also have pending cases and success in obtaining significant additional restitution and sentence that includes putting people in jail. We are and always go after people who can prove they are involved in illegal and violate our terms and conditions.

These activities include not only "card sharing" piracy, but also fraud committed by individuals and groups that harm UPC DTH and our paying customers. "We appreciate the support of law enforcement in the country, I***** and the AAPA and praise for helping to successfully convince people that have been involved in piracy and other criminal activities."

Rory O'Connor, vice president of services at I*****, said: "The collaboration between the UPC DTH, AAPA, I***** combating piracy and forensic authorities and local unit sends a strong message to criminals that pirating media not go unpunished.

The verdicts of these cases act as a strong deterrent for those making an illegal activity, and is a very satisfactory result follows recent successful prosecutions in Greece, Belgium and the Netherlands.

"I***** continue to work closely with our customers and local authorities to understand that piracy is happening - and takes steps to counter and stop it."

The defendants were distributing the keys to third decoding pay TV programs through Internet Freesat. Users were able to watch the programs without subscription, adapted illegitimately using set top boxes or private boxes suitable for piracy activities.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!