help with vu duo

There are 42 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,671 times. The last Post () by mckee25.

• Hi all my neighbour just purchased new VU duo box with vix 2.3 preinstalled it also had TSPANIEL and a few other plugins
    I tried to do update box froze switched off/on and then TSPANIEL was gone with other plugins
    Also it wont let me change skins and when I go into plugins browser it wont let me download additional plugins
    When I try to FTP plugins to the box - box constantly crashes!!!
    Any help and assistance GREATLY appreciated

niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

• Hello bud,

Is this a original box?? if so i would flash it with the original Vu image for the duo,make sure all is well with this installed.

Then flash on the latest Vix image if that is what they want.

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• ViX 2.3 is no longer supported so an online update will not work buddy, a full re flash of image version 3.0 is needed..

If you need any help with that let us know..

yeah i did a full reflash from a backup image but it would not load: http://linuxsat-support.com/vu…-duo-backup-musogeek.html

i did all the norm for the reflash but maybe i will try again in the morning.

also there are no options in his current vix image to download skins, plugins ect....
    niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

• Hello bud,

Is this a original box?? if so i would flash it with the original Vu image for the duo,make sure all is well with this installed.

Then flash on the latest Vix image if that is what they want.

unfortunately there is no benefit from flashing the OI first then another image.

i know its claimed that it "clears the cache" but thats a myth as the process of flashing any image automatically wipes the flash ( where the image is stored ), before re-writing the new image to it.

so flashing the OI is a totally unnecessary and unneeded step.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• yeah i did a full reflash from a backup image but it would not load: http://linuxsat-support.com/vu…-duo-backup-musogeek.html

i did all the norm for the reflash but maybe i will try again in the morning.

also there are no options in his current vix image to download skins, plugins ect....
    niall_b73

as the box was already on 2.3 its likely that you need to update the bootloader first to allow it to work with kernel 3.1.1 based images.

• as the box was already on 2.3 its likely that you need to update the bootloader first to allow it to work with kernel 3.1.1 based images.

hmmm.... see now there's where you start to get all technical on me, is that easy to do as i am myself only learning as i go along ??
    niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

• hmmm.... see now there's where you start to get all technical on me, is that easy to do as i am myself only learning as i go along ??
    niall_b73

its exactly the same process as flashing a image, only it takes seconds rather than minutes as a full image flash would.

• unfortunately there is no benefit from flashing the OI first then another image.

i know its claimed that it "clears the cache" but thats a myth as the process of flashing any image automatically wipes the flash ( where the image is stored ), before re-writing the new image to it.

so flashing the OI is a totally unnecessary and unneeded step.

This well be the case but as this is a brand new box and would have came with the Original image on it but instead came with a version of Vix pre-installed, i would want to check that it works perfectly with the Vu image.

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• "as the box was already on 2.3 its likely that you need to update the bootloader first to allow it to work with kernel 3.1.1 based images."

so how do i differentiate between kernel images and or is it just a matter of downloading a certain kernel image (the lastest(3.1.1 based images)) from here and installing it as well as the new backup image ?

niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

• This well be the case but as this is a brand new box and would have came with the Original image on it but instead came with a version of Vix pre-installed, i would want to check that it works perfectly with the Vu image.

i very much doubt it was a brand new box with such a old image and the TSpanel included as standard unless the user specifically requested it, maybe the OP could clarify this before we progress with this any further ??.

"as the box was already on 2.3 its likely that you need to update the bootloader first to allow it to work with kernel 3.1.1 based images."

so how do i differentiate between kernel images and or is it just a matter of downloading a certain kernel image (the lastest(3.1.1 based images)) from here and installing it as well as the new backup image ?

niall_b73

the backup image you quoted is kernel 3.1.1 based.

all ViX images including the early 2.3 images released before 25-12-2011 were kernel 2.6.18 based

• the box was new (and the user never requested anything) taken from the box as i witnessed and seen it installed, tho.... how long the seller/installer had it in his possession or where it came from is another question ??
    the tspaniel was already on it when it was plugged in and switched on !!

niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

• is there such a thing as a vu duo clone ?? and if so is it hard to differentiate between the two or would this have any bearing on it at all
    (just a thought)

niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

• so is this what i need to do now to update the kernel ??
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

FOR NEW 3.1.1 KERNEL

First of all make a backup copy of the current drivers, copy all the files in
    /lib/modules/3.1.1/extra

When new drivers comes out, take tar.gz drivers file and unzip all files in
    /lib/modules/3.1.1/extra
    and replace old drivers.
    Than reboot your decoder, that's all.

If image reboots correctly new drivers are compatible with your image, if image doesn't start it means that the drivers are not compatible and you have to wait for an image upgrade.
    In this case to go back to old drivers, just connect with ftp and copy the drivers you backup before to:
    /lib/modules/3.1.1/extra

- Change key code of audio button(uno)
    - Change remote control response code(remote control of uno works only in uno)
    - Fix occasional not moving FAN problem(uno)
    - remove udev-static

Attached Files Attached Files

File Type: gz vuplus-dvb-modules-vuultimo-2.6.18-7.3-4.4.3-20110817.tar.gz (2.13 MB, 13 views)
    File Type: gz vuplus-dvb-modules-vuuno-2.6.18-7.3-4.4.3-20110817.tar.gz (2.13 MB, 27 views)
    File Type: gz vuplus-dvb-modules-vusolo-2.6.18-7.3-4.4.3-20110817.tar.gz (2.01 MB, 38 views)
    File Type: gz vuplus-dvb-modules-bm750-2.6.18-7.3-4.4.3-20110817.tar.gz (2.07 MB, 29 views)

many thanks,
    niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

• erm no thats nothing to do with updating the kernel, thats just manually updating the hardware drivers. it does mean however that if you can see the /lib/modules/3.1.1/extra folder via FTP that you are using the latest bootloader as kernel 3.1.1 wont run on the older bootloader.

• ok, so i wont know what i will be able to see until i get to the neighbors box in a while.
    so how do i update the kernel to 3.1.1, is there a link to a page on here where i can download it or with instructions on how to do so ?

thanks,
    niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

• The kernel is part of the image it self, you just load a newer kernel based image to the box, it's the bootloader that you need to make sure id the latest version to be able to support the 3.1.1 kernel.

you can get the bootoader here

Code
    www.openvix.co.uk

and flash it the same way as you would a standard image.

• ok so i am in the neighbor's and his kernel is upto date, so i am just going to download other backup images and try from there.....
    will keep you posted

niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

• ok so i am in next door. have downloaded the vix 3.0 backup image from here.
    put the memory stick in flashed the box all went well, removed the stick and done restart on box now the box is stuck on starting and on the display is saying starting but nothing else is happening !!
    the kernel is the latest one...
    any ideas ??
    going to try a different image now and see if that works

niall_b73

( ͡° ʖ ͡°)

VU+ DUO PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!