Will provider know if viewing card is not in receiver?

There are 4 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 462 times. The last Post () by musogeek.

• My brother has subscription for all sports and movie channels provided by s ky.
    I wanted to do cardsharing with him. My understanding is that we would need to take his viewing card out the original receiver which was given to him and load it up in a Linux receiver like the dreambox...

My question is would s ky not know if the card is not in the receiver but the channels still being viewed? If they do whats a way around this?

• So if my brother shares with me theres no way of us getting into trouble? as they have no means of finding out? Ive heard from a s ky engineer something about knowing through the phone line?

Also am i right in saying this is not possible using the existing receiver and a dreambox or similar is essential?

• Official Post

Ive heard from a s ky engineer something about knowing through the phone line?

You don`t need to have the phone line connected anymore, you can ask for the No Phone Line Install, its a £25 charge..

Also am i right in saying this is not possible using the existing receiver and a dreambox or similar is essential?

You cannot cardshare from a s kybox, you will need two dreambox / similar receivers, or build a linux pc server..

• Providers tend to concentrate their efforts on those who are running big operations, payservers and possibly large "friends and family" networks. A lot is also being done over time in order to prevent cardsharing at a technical level, especially as the amount of people who are running payservers is increasing. They are protecting their interests, and no one can blame them! Cardsharing is illegal - that is clear as water, so anyone who is doing it potentially runs the risk of being caught, but to put it in to context, peer to peer filesharing is usually illegal as well.

Those who cardshare do so at their own risk. If you don't want to risk being caught, then don't do it.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!