add Infra red detector to raspberry allows remote control of xbmc

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,481 times. The last Post () by joilet666.

• messing around with raspberry using web interface when i thought why not add infra red detector ( i.r.d ) and use a real remote.
    Having already raped my 5ky box for the hdd - ( and some other capacitors for another project ¬ namely Dirty electronics stuff )
    i noticed it poking out from behind the tv.

I located the i.r.d on the front panel which i had already stripped of its plastic outer cover and snipped the 3 legged detector at the base where it joins the PCB with solder.

the legs are 1.5 cm long so there is plenty to work with so to speak.

i also butchered the GPi0 serial cable from the 5ky+ hd psu board that connects the main board so i had some pre made jumper cables that fitted correctly.
    Using three separated cables i soldered them to the i.r.d pin outs and connected them as per the diagram in the schematic i've posted below
    c16acd8ea3b.png
    To my utter astonishment my samsung tv remote works the xbmc perfectly - button for button ¬

-
    So to quickly recap -
    1 take i.r.d out of sly+hd box
    2 cut GPio serial cable at main board side and remove connector block side intact from power supply board side
    3 separate individual cables and cut individual blocks
    4 solder cable with connector block to i.r.d pin outs
    5 connect to raspberry pi GPio interface as per schematic posted above
    6 power up
    7 try remote control - my samsung (BN59-00683A) remote works perfectly incuding VCR/DVD play fwd rwd pause stop buttons

whole operation should take 15 - 30 mins max.
    And i found it very rewarding

Have fun joint10

:rikjaard1:

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• great idea there ill need to look at one of these :haha:

use Amazon or PI shop lol - There are some rogue traders out there ¬ :snicker:
    i'd like to find out if it could be used as a basic satellite box using a stripped open pli image and usb tuner - Someone more knowledgeable may know if i'm just a dreamer ?

Cheers stevejo:14_002:

78cm dish on tm2300 metal gear motor + 1m Orb with tm2300 + 1.8m Channel Master on H-H floor mount + 80cm ISS with TM2300 AND Inverto Black LNB,inverto Unicable QUDL 42 LNB,- Global invacom Dscc LNB,- Triax KA LNB, - Yuri LNBF C Band YLF-CDP16C

• i'd like to find out if it could be used as a basic satellite box using a stripped open pli image and usb tuner - Someone more knowledgeable may know if i'm just a dreamer ?

Cheers stevejo:14_002:

I'm interested in the same "project", does anyone around there already tryied to let the pi work as a basic stellite box using a usb sat receiver????????
    I googling around but haven't found nothing useful...............

HELP!

thanks in advance

• i found this guide - think xbmc would be the way to go rather than enigma2

Code
    http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/tv-on-raspberry-pi-watch-and-record-live-tv-1151587

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• Really appreciate the inspiration. I was going to buy the LIRC kit for good IR compatibility. Previously using an IR keyboard receiver with my Logitech Harmony One which I mapped all the buttons to. I have a first gen Pi with 512MB RAM. It has 2 USB tuners. DVB-S and a hybrid DVB-T/C. It runs Tvheadend as an IPTV server and Kodi, although it's purely a headless IPTV server at the moment.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!