Home Server Setup

There are 30 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,566 times. The last Post () by nkhan.

• Evening All

Sorry if this is a silly question.

I am looking to try out setting a server myself on a PC i have at home, am i right in saying i need to install to Linux to do this.

Installing Linux will not affect still using the PC for normal day to day stuff

Also there is many guides, any recommendations on which to follow

Thank you in advance

• Welcome to Linuxsat m8, what kind of PC or receiver do you plan on setting your server up on? If it is a PC, is it x32 or x64 Bit capable processor?

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• Welcome to Linuxsat m8, what kind of PC or receiver do you plan on setting your server up on? If it is a PC, is it x32 or x64 Bit capable processor?

Hello mate, i was gonna try with a PC initally, have a Dreambox HD800 sitting around.

Got an old Dell PC with Intel Core 2 CPU 4400 @ 2.0 Ghz with 2GB RAM and running Windows 7 64 Bit

• Need a help with getting my ip address for my Ubuntu PC, it is wired but cannot see it connected on my router.

I am using the tutorial recommended to me above and got to the bit to make a static ip in my router for my server.

I probably should have got the ip before i installed ubuntu, hopefully someone can help.

I have tried if config but no ip address comes up

Many thanks in advance

• When you log in directly from the host PC, your IP address shows on the login screen (Depending on what version of Ubuntu you have)..

If not, run

Code
    ifconfig

from terminal:

You should get something like this:

Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet addr:192.168.1.*** Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

IP Address
    Mac Address

Now go to your router menu, and set up a static IP address for the MAC Address found above.. What make & model router have you got?

All your problems have been solved countless times before so try the search box before you post!!
    Please do not Request help by PM, use the main forum so Everyone can benefit from the answers.

• I have Ubuntu 12, I have run ifconfig but no 192 address comes up.
    I get a 127.0.0.1 come up

I have Virgini Super Hub and can't see that mac or the PC connected on the device list

• Thanks for the help, figured it out in the end i think.

I have got the card reader part now, but not sure what software to use for the following

1: Linux PC setup.
    Make sure that your installed linux distro which has kernel 2.6.12 or newer version!

• Hi thatfellow maybe i should posted this before But when i am installing
    any version of ubuntu server at the start when it reading type hdd/partitions,
    And so on Ethernet ports/ect ect then it ipv6, then it start to look at and
    detecting local port, I whip out the lan cable(rj45) or whatever you want
    to call it. wait and it give you the choice to enter, your own IP Address
    plug back in cable,
    Enter your ip/router/netmask/nameserver
    job done..no router bullsiht, I find this a bit easier ... ANNIE

• Is the below an error or can it be ignored

Cannot get real path for '/tmp/cccamoscam_install_package'.
    No such file or directory.
    Error code: 2
    Error message from server: No such file
    Request code: 16

• Official Post

Is the below an error or can it be ignored

Cannot get real path for '/tmp/cccamoscam_install_package'.
    No such file or directory.
    Error code: 2
    Error message from server: No such file
    Request code: 16

It cant find the cccamoscam_install_package, make sure you put the contents of this folder into the /tmp directory.

• It cant find the cccamoscam_install_package, make sure you put the contents of this folder into the /tmp directory.

Thanks mate, i have tried to redo it but get the same error but my web pages for the 2 seem ok

• Do you mean you have already ran the install package & can see oscam & CCcam web info?

Yes mate i had copied over to server as stated in tutorial and that error came up when server reboots.
    I done it again when you said the contents are missing and same error but web pages seem ok.

• I have a couple of other questions hoping someone can help me

1. Do i need to install more software for the below?

Linux PC setup.
    Make sure that your installed linux distro which has kernel 2.6.12 or newer version!

2. Linux doesnt seem to recognise my Smargo Card Reader, it detects and comes up with a long list but no Card Reader?

3. Do i need to configure my Sly Subscription anywhere?

Many thanks for your help

• Official Post

If I remember correctly, doesn't the filename have capitals in it as well? ie /tmp/CccamOscam_Install_ or something like that?

Might have missed that?

Either way it should not be trying to run the script at boot up, nkhan can you have a look at the file /etc/crontab & see what is set to run when the system boots.

• Either way it should not be trying to run the script at boot up, nkhan can you have a look at the file /etc/crontab & see what is set to run when the system boots.

This is what i got on the contrab file

# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
    # Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
    # command to install the new version when you edit this file
    # and files in /etc/cron.d. These files also have username fields,
    # that none of the other crontabs do.

SHELL=/bin/sh
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# m h dom mon dow user command
    17 * * * * root cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
    25 6 * * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )
    47 6 * * 7 root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly )
    52 6 1 * * root test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly )
    #
    56 03 * * * root killall CCcam.x86_64
    56 03 * * * root killall oscam
    57 03 * * * root /var/script/configupdate.sh >> /var/cccamlog/configupdate.log
    58 03 * * * root /var/script/keyupdater.sh
    59 03 * * * root /usr/local/bin/CCcam.x86_64
    59 03 * * * root /usr/local/bin/oscam -b
    */5 * * * * root /var/script/CCcamCheck.sh
    */5 * * * * root /var/script/OscamCheck.sh
    03 04 * * 6 root /var/script/LogCleanUp.sh >> /var/cccamlog/CleanUp.log
    56 03 * * * root killall CCcam.x86_64
    56 03 * * * root killall oscam
    57 03 * * * root /var/script/configupdate.sh >> /var/cccamlog/configupdate.log
    58 03 * * * root /var/script/keyupdater.sh
    59 03 * * * root /usr/local/bin/CCcam.x86_64
    59 03 * * * root /usr/local/bin/oscam -b
    */5 * * * * root /var/script/CCcamCheck.sh
    */5 * * * * root /var/script/OscamCheck.sh
    03 04 * * 6 root /var/script/LogCleanUp.sh >> /var/cccamlog/CleanUp.log

• Any help with the above questions please???

• I also have a OmniKey Reader but not 100% what the below means?

And change thise lines by removing # from front and reader_drivers lines u delete one comand too:

reader_drivers = pcsc, ctapi;
    try_emulation_first = yes;
    lock_login = false;

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!