Low power server ?

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 704 times. The last Post () by musogeek.

• Hello again guys, i have been doing some research for implementing a low power server and i just thought i would get your input on any recommendations. I could use a dreambox but the reading which i have been doing reveals that i would have to do frequent restarts. any suggestions in building a low power server pc , small box or raspberry pi which is stable that can work as a server 24/7. any suggestions are welcome.

• It all depends how many people you are going to have on it and how many will be peers and how many clients , i would say most pc servers are a waste of time if you want to go the green route , from my own experience i use a solo 2 costly for as server only but i use mine as a box and server , only reboots i have ever had to do are self inflicted , server runs while the box is in standby , server still runs even when i reboot enigma interface installing plugins ,its never fails , had no issues at all with this setup running vix 3.0 , rasbery pi wont run cccam as far as im aware it will only run oscam

• It all depends how many people you are going to have on it and how many will be peers and how many clients , i would say most pc servers are a waste of time if you want to go the green route , from my own experience i use a solo 2 costly for as server only but i use mine as a box and server , only reboots i have ever had to do are self inflicted , server runs while the box is in standby , server still runs even when i reboot enigma interface installing plugins ,its never fails , had no issues at all with this setup running vix 3.0 , rasbery pi wont run cccam as far as im aware it will only run oscam

ok well i dont plan to have alot or clients though. but am curious though, this may seem like a silly question but what is the difference between a peer and client in this situation?

• there are a few options, Nettop PCs such as Acer Revo or netbooks could all run CCcam, or for a very low power option, take the plunge and get a Raspberry Pi - surprisingly easy to get a server up and running with one of these - but yes - Oscam only, but still does the job.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• I used to have an acer revo running my server , but changed over to a pi and never looked back, been very stable and of course costs are low and power consumption is next to nothing , I use it with an omnikey card reader that i picked up on the bay @ £5 works far better than the smartgo i was using.
    for under £30 they are a bargain. You cant use cccam but to be honest cccam really is only useful client side those days

• I used to have an acer revo running my server , but changed over to a pi and never looked back, been very stable and of course costs are low and power consumption is next to nothing , I use it with an omnikey card reader that i picked up on the bay @ £5 works far better than the smartgo i was using.
    for under £30 they are a bargain. You cant use cccam but to be honest cccam really is only useful client side those days

ok, but can cccam clients connect to the pi server regardless of what sharing script is been used?

• ok. so what do you guys think about using thin client pc's as servers? can these run full linux os needed for our servers. i would assume the power consumption would be low as well.

• Depends on the CPU architecture - if it is based on x86, as your regular PC is, then it may run CCcam, however if it isn't - which is more probable, then you again would most probably be stuck with Oscam being the only option - and with that being the case, then it all points back to the Raspberry Pi as the best option considering the costs.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!