What to do after updating with the rescue image

There is 1 reply in this Thread which was already clicked 817 times. The last Post () by sparksy01.

• Hello all,

after using my Amiko Alien 2 for almost 6 months the box decided to get stuck on boot (on Spark). None of the easier suggestions worked, neither switching the box of and back on while pressing the ok button, than selecting Spark in the boot menu (although it was already selected in the first place), nor trying to boot after disconnecting all the cables. I than decided to use the rescue image, which worked just fine, the image installed successfully and the box is now running again. After reading through several threads I am however a bit unsure as to what I should have done next. Is it necessary to upgrade using the AMIKO_ALIEN2_1.2.51_E2_Boot_Upgrade.rar first or can I just update with the latest firmware? To put it another way, does the latest firmware not include the Boot upgrade, or why do some threads suggest using the 1.2.51_E2_Boot_Upgrade first? And is it possible to downgrade a firmware, i.e. will I do any harm if I choose a lower version after having already installed a newer version, for example choosing the 1.2.51_E2_Boot_Upgrade after the box is already running with version 1.2.61? Because this is exactly what I did, I restored from a previous (very old sadly) backup and the firmware is now 1.2.61

Secondly I would really appreciate it if somebody more knowledgeable than myself could give me at least a hint why the box got stuck. I have installed an E2 image on the box about a month ago but both images have been working fine since than, no problems whatsoever. A have not made any other changes yesterday, but the box simply refused to boot today. The only thing I did recently was connect a USB wireless keyboard to the stb, but that was also a week ago and the keyboard has been working without issues since then. So, any ideas what went wrong?

I am also unable to access the spark online upgrade option on the STB, when selecting SPARK in the menu, the system gives an error message, something like "no server to connect to". Do I have to enter any setting in this menu?

Thank you in advance.

• Hi Hobbysatter,

Best of luck moving over to E2. I too have an Amiko box and after a while Spark was just too sh*t. Also, it is important to select a decent E2 image to 1, get the most out of the box and 2, to help you get started and setup. My personal favourite is http://linuxsat-support.com/am…kup_image-v0-4-5-28e.html. FAST, reliable, excellent plugins and a really good remote map.

You MUST run Spark version 1.2.51_E2 - it will not boot properly otherwise.
    1. Boot into Spark - Load Spark version .51.E2
    2. Reboot the STB
    3. Copy the required E2 build on to a USB stick
    4. Place this into the back of the STB
    5. Go to Plugins, turn on the E2Upgrade.s plugin, by selecting 'OK'
    6. Press the Red Button on the remote to launch the upgrade module
    7. Confirm the path that you have copied the files to on the USB stick
    8. Press the Red Button again to confirm upgrading to E2 - let the update happen (note if it fails at this point with a Kernel error you have copied the files into the wrong location)
    9. You don't get a message to say success - update just kind of stops.
    10. Exit the plugins
    11. Go into System
    12. Select 'Basic setting'
    13. Select in the right hand options 'Default Settings'
    14. Within that the bottom setting is 'Boot to E2'

15. Sit back and enjoy....

Really hope this helps.

Spark STI 7162 Support

Support for Amiko Alien 2, Delta, Dynavision 7162, Galaxy Innovations Avatar 2, Galaxy Innovations Avatar 3, Golden Media Spark Triplex, Golden Media Spark One, Icecrypt S3700 CHD, SAB Unix Triple HD, Samsat Linux 2, Satcom 7162, Sogno Spark Triple, Startrack SRT 2020 HD Plus, Superbox Z500, Truman TOP-BOX, Truman TopBox 2 Tuner, Visionnet Falcon, Spark STI 7162 Receivers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!