Actuator wire gauge?

There are 12 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,919 times. The last Post () by nano.

• Hi there, just after a little help. What wire gauge do you use for 36v motor actuator? Would 0.63mm(22ish I think) gauge do?

• What is the current draw, (amperes of the motor) you intend to connect to?? several websites will show a table of min/max of cable/wire size and the V drop, (voltage drop) over length.

Hope this is of help,

a

1.2 CM motorised, Inverto Black Pro lnb, V box, VU+ Solo2 42" Panasonic + 5.1 S.S.

• as long as you dont think about using something like Telco cable (Telephone) which would work but best sticking to something thicker.

Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I had in mind, I was going to use 15m of 049/underground 0.63 telco service lead and connect that to my vbox II......still not a good idea??

I know that 049 can take up to 110v dc , but there's next to no current, and I don't know what the amp output of the 36v vbox-II is??

@ ampedef do you have a link to any of those websites? Thanks.

• Hi dymeh,

If you take a look at any cable manufacturers websit, ie; Delta, they have downloadable swg figures and current/voltage drop calculators, check SatelliteSuperstore, they are very helpfull. Press option 1 and ask about cables and sizes. It has been over 30 years since I was in the electrical installation game. My setup came with flat cable. 1 lnb sheilded, 2 core for the original Bluethunder lnb, (for auto skew) and then 4 core, 2 for reed switch and 2 for motor + & - Red and Black. The motor feed (+ & -) are approx 0.5mm. The Dish is about 30mtres away, as the cable runs, and I have never experienced any probs with driving a 1.2 CM. Only downside are the Superjacks, the lower bearing gets dry and seizes. Makes a hell of row when the jack grindes and then falls apart. I tried to repair one once found the right size bearing but because of the way the manufacturer fits them it did not last long.I have a Vbox. signiture should read V box,, have VU on the brain at the moment.

Sorry if I have bored you,

a :lala:

1.2 CM motorised, Inverto Black Pro lnb, V box, VU+ Solo2 42" Panasonic + 5.1 S.S.

• Nice I heard those VU's are nice units, I just purchased the controversial amiko alien 2(triple tuner). I'll be running both c-band and terrestrial once setup(hopefully). Considering you use .5mm, I just hope that .63mm cable(under 20m of length) can power my powerjack on a 3m comstar dish?? One way to find out I guess...

• Getting back to the current draw on an actuator, could be upto 20A @ 36Vdc. What size actuator you need for 2m comstar no idea, without looking it up. .63 seems ideal dont forget to set mechanical limits inside the actuator. Stops the motor overloading when you adjust electrical limits.

Good luck, and keep me posted please,

a

• If it doesn't work just double up the cables i.e twist two together for the 36v. Its a bit of a bodge but it should work if nothing else is available.

The sensor cables should be ok with just one cable, no doubling up will be required. Since most telco cables have 4 twisted pairs (8 individual cables) there should be enough.

Nano

• If it doesn't work just double up the cables i.e twist two together for the 36v. Its a bit of a bodge but it should work if nothing else is available.

The sensor cables should be ok with just one cable, no doubling up will be required. Since most telco cables have 4 twisted pairs (8 individual cables) there should be enough.

Nano

You read my mind, that was my next cheat. I'm going to use a dedicate 049(use both pairs/4 x .63) lead for each motor.

@ ampedef my comstar 3m mesh dish will use a super-power-jack harl 3624+. To give you an idea of where I'm at- I've dug a 1.3m hole for my 3m pole today and put a bit of cement around it, so tomorrow I will finally put the dish up:). I've changed rooms for my tv setup which takes a bit ****ing around. That includes re-wiring my terrestrial RG6 + cat5 stuff etc for my Amiko. As for the actuator I'm still getting my head around on how to set limits(instructions are a bit s***). I'm hoping this 3m dish will pick up Asiasat 3s due to the fact that it's only about 5° above the horizon from my address...I'll know tomorrow fingers crossed...

• I used 3185Y 5 core flex cable which I got of fleabay for around £25 for a 50mtr reel, I see tlc-direct do it for £30+vat or 75p per mtr.

• I have heard of people using wire that was designed for a car towing hook electrics. Apparently the cables are just the right size.

Nano

General Satellite & Installation Support Forum

Support for LNBs, Single satellite, motorised and multi-satellite systems. DiSEqC switches, positioners, motors, actuators, dish-alignment help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!