will I notice a big difference

There are 18 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,634 times. The last Post () by huester.

• HI,
    at the moment I have Alien2 and to be quite honest I am getting a bit fed up with it. One day something works,ie cross epg, next day you have to fiddle to get it working. Getting it to record from timer seems to be overly complicated., etc etc, not to mention the box crashing when some buttons are pressed . I know it is still a new box but am seriously thinking of switching to a proper Enigma box. Will I notice a big difference in the stabilty and performance . Also there seems to be a lot more support. Just looking in sponsors shop there seem to be some very good deals. I did want the VU Solo+2 but don't think I want to spend that much, however I see a good deal on VU+Duo twin tuner @ £249, a serious reduction. First question, why such a big reduction. Is it older technology that I may regret buying, or is it just a cracking deal. Also wondered about the new Venton boxes. They look good and the gigablue. Would appreciate any comments on the above. Think I am going to take the plunge but want to plunge in right direction and not make another mistake.

thanks for any help

• Hello buddy,

The difference will be like day & night, anything in the VU range is well worth the money. If you look at the support available here at the forum for the Vu range than you will see how popular this range is.The Duo is down is price now I would think due to the release soon of the Duo2, this does not mean though that you would not be getting every penny's worth though for your £249.

The venton boxes I can't comment on as I have never had one or don't know anyone that has, but this will be due to it being such a new box.Given time and support it could be as big as any of the others.You could at the minute on the forum win one for £7 !!!!! there is a bounus ball raffle being sold right now with the chance to win a Venton HD 3.

Gigablue again worth the money and well supported.

I would say to you buy what you can afford and will be happy with, one that ticks all the boxes for what you want it to do.

beer10

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• The reason the Vu+Duo is reduced is because it has been superseded by the Solo+ 2 which is a newer receiver with a faster cpu .
    The Duo is still a good box ,it works well ,and the support for it has reached stability unlike the Solo 2 which is relatively new.
    The Duo was always overpriced at £300 for which it sold for years,its a good box but not worth that .

Enigma 2 on the Alien is improving ,its alot better now than it was 6 months ago .
    I have one running a newish version of HDMU and it works well,its fairly stable now ,it took a fair bit of tweaking to get it right,its nowhere near as user friendly as the Dreamboxes or Vu+ units.

I still use a Dm800 clone running Dream Elite Phoenix as my main receiver though as its rock solid .
    The Alien 2 is way faster that the Dm800 to boot and load up ,even Cross epg runs much faster on it .
    I will switch over to the Alien 2 as my main receiver when I get time, as it has a twin sat tuner which is handy ,it also supports streaming,like 1channel which doesnt work on the older Phoenix image.

• thanks for replies,
    just thinking about the new model with faster processor. Is this the way receivers are going to move, and is it likely that there are plans to utilise the extra processing power other than just for faster boot up times.
    regarding the Alien, I will keep that as a second box and sell my spiderbox 9000 if I do take the plunge, because it may get there in the end

• Very interesting this thread - My Alien has stopped working (on the card, not the box), and EVERYTHING I have tried has not worked, and is close to going out the window......
    I havent looked ( I know I'm lazy), but is the Vu as far as 'setting up' easy to do regarding putting things like C Lines on them - do you have to use FTP on DCC for example?
    Thanks

• Official Post

Very interesting this thread - My Alien has stopped working (on the card, not the box), and EVERYTHING I have tried has not worked, and is close to going out the window......
    I havent looked ( I know I'm lazy), but is the Vu as far as 'setting up' easy to do regarding putting things like C Lines on them - do you have to use FTP on DCC for example?
    Thanks

All enigma2 receivers are basically setup the same, How To Enter A C line On Enigma2 Receiver With Dreambox control centre..

• I found the Alien 2 a complete pain in the arse and its no secret that i am not a big fan of those boxes or the main retailer, but thats another story.

I can honestly say i have never had a box that was as big a pain in the ass as the the Alien 2 was. If you go for a proper MIPS box you will notice a huge difference in stability and also the availability of images and plugins. I'm not completely putting down boxes that use a SH4 chipset as i have two of them, both i may add are 100% more stable than my Alien 2 ever was, they just aren't in the same league as a MIPS based box.

To be honest it all depends on what you are looking for in a box. If your happy with a single tuner the Maxview XP1000 is a good box to start with and it is well supported. I've had a play with one and i was pleasantly surprised with its performance.

As for the Vu+ Duo, its a fantastic box, and its one i have regretted selling if i'm totally honest. I don't think i've had another receiver since that has even come close to it. The Gigablues aren't bad boxes either, I've been really happy with both of mine although i probably wouldn't buy another as there are newer and more exciting boxes out there to play wth.

Nano

• I found the Alien 2 a complete pain in the arse and its no secret that i am not a big fan of those boxes or the main retailer, but thats another story.

I can honestly say i have never had a box that was as big a pain in the ass as the the Alien 2 was. If you go for a proper MIPS box you will notice a huge difference in stability and also the availability of images and plugins. I'm not completely putting down boxes that use a SH4 chipset as i have two of them, both i may add are 100% more stable than my Alien 2 ever was, they just aren't in the same league as a MIPS based box.

To be honest nano ,it is well over 6 months since you had an Alien 2 ,the enigma 2 images have come an awful long way since then,I wouldnt have bought one otherwise.
    They are far far better now and quite stable.

The remote response has improved (via eps settings in config file) its as good now as my Dm800 .
    Sure there are alot more plugins available for the Vu+ and Dreambox but most of the plugins I use on other Enigma 2 receivers work fine on the Alien 2.
    Crossepg,Cool tv,Autotimer,Autobouquets,1channel,icefilms,RTE player,iplayer ,WebInterface as well as Picons and lots of Skins .

The AutoVolumeAdjustment is still a bit iffy,the volume seems to vary a bit too much .
    Oscam on HDMU needs a few config changes to work on HDMU but it works well when changed.

With regard to the main retailer I will agree with you ,they seem to think every problem is down to user config errors and will not allow constructive criticism.Some of their preconfigured images are buggy and out of date .

Try a new HDMU image ,I'm running 11012 and it is very stable and fast .
    For 155 euro delivered ,I am pleased with my purchase ,its less than half the cost of a Vu+ Duo and has a terrestrial tuner which is handy for users in Ireland with Saorview.

• My biggest issue with SH4 boxes is the inability to run CCCam, which for me is a good reason why i could never make a SH4 receiver my main box. When the Alien 2 is running Spark they aren't a bad box, they just shouldn't have been pushed as hard as an Enigma 2 box before the images were ready for them, that has been that boxes biggest downfall, and unfortunately for me first impressions count.

I certainly don't think they are worth the money they are been retailed at, not when you see what else is available.

Nano

• I certainly don't think they are worth the money they are been retailed at, not when you see what else is available.

Nano

If you are looking for a twin tuner sat receiver there aren't many alternatives for 155 euro which the Golden Media Triplex can be bought for .

• You can get the nBox5800sx receiver for under £100, which in my opinion is a hundred times more stable than the Alien 2 or GM Triplex which is the same receiver as the Alien 2. Its just in a different box.

To be honest if you want a decent box you have to pay the extra money and get a MIPS based box instead of playing around with a SH4 based box which will never be as good as a MIPS box.

Nano

• You can get the nBox5800sx receiver for under £100, which in my opinion is a hundred times more stable than the Alien 2 or GM Triplex which is the same receiver as the Alien 2. Its just in a different box.

Nano

The PKT Hyperion image on the Alien 2 is very stable as are the recent HDMU images .

• im running a solo2 coming from a alien 8900 and hated it constantly crashed.i am running blackhole on my solo but prefer vx as a lot better in my eyes .would recommend a solo2.1 thing I will say don't waste your money on a clone.

• Gregsy, can you please make an introduction in the introductions section per the rules.

Thanks

Nano

• It didn't. Unless you are planning to use the Alien 2 solely in Spark mode i really wouldn't bother with it, get a MIPS based box that will run Enigma as its supposed to.

I know the Alien 2 is cheap for what your getting, but in all honesty i would spend the extra bit of money and get a box that will do what you want it to.

Please also make an intro in the introduction section please, as per the forum rules.

Thanks

Nano

• Have to say that now I have sorted out recording probs my Alien 2 seems to be very stable with PKT Hyperion image. Doesn't crash as much as last HDMU I tried, but a strange thing happened yesterday.I had been using oscam succesfully on Sunday and when I switched on on Monday all config files had gone and had to re install. Having said that I had been trying lots of different skins etc so maybe that ahd something to do with it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!