Flashing DM500s Rs232 to USB

There are 34 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 9,014 times. The last Post () by master G.

• Official Post

By past experience these usb to serial convertors are unreliable and very rarely work correctly. Unless you are using a laptop i would suggest buying a PCI rs232 expansion card for your PC. Its the only sure fire way to make sure its going to work.

I have used several different branded USB to serial leads from the expensive to the cheopo ones from China and none of them have lived up to the expectation.

Nano

Got to agree with the above Jamestt,
    If you can access or borrow a friends older pc with a proper serial port you will have your dm500 restored in about 10 minutes. I too found usb to serial converters to be a waste of time.

• Normally any version will do, by reading what happened with commando
    i am afraid reflashing is the only answer, do you know anyone with an old pc
    to flash the box, them serial to usb converters dont always work
    they are a pain in the butt, pity there is not a usb on the dm's lol

• Hi annie12 I know that its a shame they don't have a "Service" USB on them like new recievers have. Im afraid I don't know anybody with an old pc and workplace computers are replaced with mobile laptops. I will try to search for an old computer if I find any and I hope I will don't have the same problem as before. Thanks Ten Below for the response. I will try to do it on it after.

• Thanks ferdi for the opinion, the case I have to load from the browser requires Ethernet Network and that is the major problem that i'm suffering that it wont locate the ip of the dreambox. By then I went to RS232. I might try to look for old computers that may solve the problem maybe there are another reasons that lie in this case. Thanks

• Hi Ricochet, that was my first problem. The image im using is Commando 14.7 and when I connect it, it doesnt recognise Ip and even Dcc doesnt. DCHP is always ticked on and by then I cannot flash my dm500 only by RS232. Is there a guide for Commando 14.7 that could solve the Ethernet problem maybe? Thanks

• Hi ferdi and annie12 I had no luck with Netscan but I tried to manage somehow to borrow a very very old Computer from my friend. A Dusty one with Pentium 3 @ 733 Mhz and 64 Mb Ram took ages to open because we had Ip problem on earlier versions of DreamUp. Although the latest version 1.3.3.9 was not a hassle as it identified my Dm500 quickly. Thanks to all who tried to help me but you helped me alot. Thanks nano, sparky stu, tebaa, ricochet, raymond2006, ferdi and annie12. No use to have the USB to RS232 Converter now. This thread could be closed now because the problem has been solved. Thanks all.

• Thanks. No need to have this converter for me as its useless. Worked fine as you and others said that an old computer might solve the problem and it did. Recommend others who read this thread better stick with like you said raymond2006 Pci-e cards or use old computers. Thanks all.

• its after xp thats the problem. no serial driver support for 7 unless its a pci card. i keep an old pc with a serial port. it wont work either if you get one without the manufacturers drivers disc for the motherboard, xp wont recognise it

• Official Post

Hi ferdi and annie12 I had no luck with Netscan but I tried to manage somehow to borrow a very very old Computer from my friend. A Dusty one with Pentium 3 @ 733 Mhz and 64 Mb Ram took ages to open because we had Ip problem on earlier versions of DreamUp. Although the latest version 1.3.3.9 was not a hassle as it identified my Dm500 quickly. Thanks to all who tried to help me but you helped me alot. Thanks nano, sparky stu, tebaa, ricochet, raymond2006, ferdi and annie12. No use to have the USB to RS232 Converter now. This thread could be closed now because the problem has been solved. Thanks all.

Great to hear you now have it fixed buddy well done, we all agree usb to serial converters are crap then.:snicker:

Thread closed.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!