Flashing DM500s Rs232 to USB

There are 34 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 9,015 times. The last Post () by master G.

• Hi. I have updated the image of my Clone DM500 to Commando 14.7 and I have problems that it cannot connect to the Ethernet Cable so I could reflash it to the original image.
    However DCC and FlashWizardPro are both not finding its IP and when I navigate through Network Services is telling me Network Inactive.

I gave up on Commando 14.7 and want to reflash again but since I don't have a RS232 Port I was going to buy the RS232 to USB Cable. Does it work with Dreamup?
    Or RS232 to RS232 is best? I may have to find a computer with that port but if RS232 to USB is worth it I will buy it. Thanks for your time.

• Hi Tebaa, thanks for the opinion. I do see that many have problems with USB to RS232 Cable but I think somebody in other topics/forums said because of version of Windows. The only problem I find is that I don't have an RS232 Port thats why im going for USB.

• yes it does work.. at least the prolific one I use does...make sure you have latest driver for your windows system..make sure you use the correct port and done...on dm make sure dynamic is ticked

• Hi ricochet, thanks for the opinion. I will try to go ahead for the RS232 Cable to USB. I wish I won't have problems with any Drivers both aside. Thanks very much.

• Hi again. Bought the RS 232 Cable to USB alongside the Null Modem Cable to flash the dm 500 clone from Dreamup but I can't seem to get manage after "Connection prepared, now switch on the dreambox!". After I switch the Dreambox on nothing happens. What could be the problem? I am using the USB to RS232 Converter because I don't have the db9/Rs232 port. Thanks

• By past experience these usb to serial convertors are unreliable and very rarely work correctly. Unless you are using a laptop i would suggest buying a PCI rs232 expansion card for your PC. Its the only sure fire way to make sure its going to work.

I have used several different branded USB to serial leads from the expensive to the cheopo ones from China and none of them have lived up to the expectation.

Nano

• Hi Nano. I tried to use my old Computer that has 2 Rs232 ports but unfortunately by time that I didn't power it on the computer won't power up and I left buying the converter thats why. I tried different ports (COM3. COM4 and COM5) and installed its own driver. The unfortunate fact however is that my laptop doesn't have a Pci or Express expansion. Is there any chance round how to fix this problem? Thanks

• I have used several in the past, I use them for work as most laptops do not have an RS232 port on them.

At least 2 different kinds of chip sets FTDI (which tends to be the better of the 2) and Prolific (tend to be the cheaper). Then when you bring in operating systems it just gets silly.

I just keep a couple of old Dell D505 of D610 for the RS232 with windows XP on them, can pick up the machines on ebay for £40 but they tend to be good enough for sat boxes.

• Hi Sparky. I don't know the chip on the null cable or/and the usb to rs232 converter. Is there a version of Dreamup that works correctly with the use of usb to null cable converter? Because the problem lies within the dreambox reciever that it can power on but I can't get its IP on Dcc to flash it with a new image. Thanks

• did you get the right drivers for the adapter there a few out different ones out there. try googling for usb null modem cable drivers and there are a few about
    i just binned all my dm500 folders so cant even tell you which ones i had that worked for me

• Hi Tebaa. Yes I got the right drivers because of the option of installing. Bought it and came with its own CD. The product is "Dynamode USB2.0 To Rs232 Converter". It identifies if the rs232 converter is inserted or no and if the driver is installed. Can't seem to find the problem exactly what lies beneath these except having a converter on a laptop. Thanks

• I've only used the prolific conv..., same one on both xp and vista, I just made sure i was on the correct port usually 1 or 2, with correct dvrs, always worked for me maybe i was lucky

• hi if you are using windows go to:

1 control panel (device and printers)
    2 select device manager
    3 Ports (COM & LPT)
    4 right click serial port >>> properties, port settings, change port number, select a COM you wish to use,click ok
    5 use the COM number you have set and select it in Dreamup

Note: you stil need a null modem cable in addition to the USB to serial cable

hope it will work for you

• We try to rationalize the problem, to do so need some information

• exact model of the decoder
    • what image you want to upload
    • name of the program needed to load the image - DreamUP_1.334 is the most appropriate for clone

together we grow - ferdi

• Hi I tried what Raymond2006 said but no thing happened and ferdi I tried to use DreamUp v 1_3_3_4 with the setting but no connection. I am using the USB to RS232 converter and the image I uploaded is Commando 14.7 which bricked me from using Ethernet to restore my backup image. Now there isn't connection between RS232 port and Ethernet Port. Had anyone problems with this situation? Thanks

• No, I tried what raymond2006 said, go to the control panel and search for com ports to enable but all is the same. Tried DreamUp v 1.334 but no luck. Any Suggestions?

• Hi Annie12 I tried the very beginning of Dreamup and the ones which are recent and from version of 2008. Downloaded about 10 version of DreamUP even the recent release 1.3.3.9. Is there a particular version which works with Dreambox 500S clone? Thanks Annie for the suggestion.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!