tell me what picons are and what they are used for

There are 16 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,063 times. The last Post () by sparkysden.

• Hi there mckee25.
    Please can you tell me what picons are and what they are used for. And if I need to download any. Also where I put them.
    I have a VU+DUO with the latest VTI image. I am new to satellite receivers; But I have managed to do most things to get my new set working.
    Thanks to a bit of help from people on this forum; And trawling the internet for answers. I have still a lot to learn.
    Many thanks for your time.
    sparkysden.

• Picons are static images for the channels on you Reciever buddy! Various styles and formats around!
    they are shown in the info panel to the left of the now and next channel listings! Infobar can be accessed by pressing ok on remote whilst watching channel!

best stored on USB for speed and ease of access but on HDD if you don't want a USB plugged in!

some details in theead below regarding how to access and get on to your box!

http://linuxsat-support.com/pi…h-picons-help-please.html

lssdalogo.png

"Don't Gain The World & Lose Your Soul, Wisdom Is Better Than Silver Or Gold"
    “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction”

• Hi there everybody.
    I have the latest VTi-Team Image Release. v6.0.0 (Version : 2013-07-03- vti-master).
    I have been trying all week to download and install picons for this version onto my VU+duo.
    Can anyone tell me why the picons will not show when I download them from the VTI setup. In the settings it states that they are downloaded
    to /user/share/enigma2/picon. On this site many say that they should be installed on the root of a pendrive in a folder called "picon".
    I have tried this and also installed into the "user/share/enigma2/picon". With no luck at all.
    Can anyone tell me the correct way and which version of picons will work with my VU+DUO and the version of vti that I have installed.
    Also; I believe that there is an picon updater that can be installed. But I do not know how or where to install this as well.
    If anyone can help me then I would be very grateful for any assistance. I do not wish to change from vti to another image for the time being as
    it is a very good system for me to try out being my first receiver.
    Thanks folks.

• Ok when installing picons two of the options you can use along with a FTP program are:

1. Install the picons on the internal flash memory of the box. If you choose this option you will want to place the folder named "picon" which contains all the picons into usr/share/enigma2. If there is already a folder in there named picon delete it and replace it with the new one.

2.Install the picons on a usb stick which has been mounted to your image. You will want to mount the usb stick as media/usb. When you have done this place the "picon" folder into media/usb.

Just remember your picon folder which contains all the picons should be a directory on it's own, it should not be inside a parent folder also named picon.

Here's a link to a good set of picons for 28e which should get you going: Black MMC

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• Hi there mkkee 25.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Can you tell me if I should leave the entry for the picons (in the vti setup) as /usr/share/enigma2/picon. Or should I change
    this to media/usb. As I will be using an usb stick at the back of my receiver.
    Many thanks.

• Hi yet again M8.
    I have installed the picons from the download link you gave me.
    I have installed them into "usr/share/enigma2/picon. I have left the vti setting for picon as it were as well (usr/share/enigma2/picon).
    They are still not showing up. Is there something that I have to do to activate the picons.
    Also; I have my receiver operating on an 3d panasonic viera with the resolution set at 1080i 50hz. Is this ok.
    Thank you once again.

• Hi satcat.
    Yes I have mounted the usb when I installed the picons.
    But I have done a fresh install and installed the picon folder into the default location on the VTI image. (/user/share/enigma2/picon).
    Without using my usb pendrive.
    Still no luck M8.

• No unfortunately not buddy, these are the two common locations for picons to go. The only other thing I would try is a reflash of the image or try a different one all together.

fI7WHhv.png

Please click on the "Like" :thumbup: button if you find the information and support posted on the forum helpful.

• The picons that I have installed appear as text in the /user/share/enigma2/picon folder.
    Still cannot get any of them to work.
    Has anyone else had the same problem.

VU+DUO
    Latest VTI Image v6.0.0 (Very good. Apart from no picons).
    Resolution set at 1080i 50hz

• Hi there everyone who has tried to help me install picons to my system.
    I have found out the problem and solved it.
    On all of the sets of picons that I have downloaded; The service reference number has to be changed on all of them.
    I will give you an example of what I mean.
    Take the channel Dave on S*Y 28.2 degrees east. The service reference number for this channel is:- 1_0_1_1DC4_7DF_2_11C0000_0_0
    But on all of the picon sets I have downloaded; The service reference number differs for this channel:- 1_0_1_1DC4_7DF_2_11A0000_0_0
    Notice that I have had to make just 1 change in the picon service reference number.
    Can anyone comment on why the service reference number on each picon is different to to the actual channel reference number?
    I cannot understand why the the service reference numbers have to be changed. But I am glad that I have things working now.
    I have a lot of work to do in order to have my picons display. But who cares. Everything is good (For the time being).
    Many Many Many thanks to all of you who have helped me.
    Next problem I have is installing TS Panel. Will let you all know if I need help.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!