Gigablue HD Quad getting very hot

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,679 times. The last Post () by Madhatter.

• My Gigablue HD quad has got 4 tuners and it gets very hot in the plug-n-play tuner area at the bottom of the receiver.. I have also noticed the VU+ solo2 getting hot but not as hot as the Gigablue..

I am getting worried that it might catch fire..

Has anybody seen this behaviour?

Also has anybody done any modifications to get a custom fan fitted for better airflow?

• Doubt it will catch fire. It is normal for receivers to run warm, ensure that you are keeping it in a well ventilated area. One way to look at it is that if you can feel the heat over a fairly wide area, then the heat is being dissipated. It would be warm or even hot, but not enough to burn from the outside of the case. If the heatsinks and fans were not doing what they should, then the heat would be concentrated to a very small area, would be very hot and before you know it, there would be a burnout!

I am not sure on your receivers but in some receivers, there are variable speed fans that can be set in the image, so if you look in the settings menu see if you can change the settings. You can also view the temperature of the CPU

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

• You could always put it on a Laptop pad that has fans. Although if it runs with all the tuners working after a few hours, and it does not get any hotter it must be dissipating the heat ok.

• Not all receivers have a fan because not all receivers need a fan. A receiver with a good passive heatsink and good airflow and ventilation, situated where there isn't anything preventing this should be ok. In good quality receivers this is usually thought of in the design. Fans are noisy so often it is favourable that there is fanless cooling in anything that is part of your home theatre. Things will and do get hot, and it is not always a sign of a problem. If it is new then you are covered by your warranty anyway, and you may even find that fitting a fan voids the warranty. If you get a clone, then this is where you have to worry, because the quality of the parts and the manufacturing process are substandard, and your warranty is probably non-existent:lmao:

That being the case, a lot of people will happily fit a fan to a clone.

If I take a while to respond, you can see why.....

:red:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!