Something to think about ip address conflicts

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,041 times. The last Post () by EsRgood4u.

• Just thought i would post this as it might help out other users in the future.

My story :)
    I bought a new server and setup Debian following the excellent guides on here, everything went smoothly and i thought this is getting a lot easier the cccam gods must like me now.
    Everything was rattling along nicely and all of a sudden the server would be unreachable from my pc or i would get error messages from ssh, cccaminfo page would maybe take 6 seconds to refresh if it did at all.
    Very strange and a reboot wasn't helping it this time, i thought i faced the prospect of reinstalling Debian again which would have been typical especially after setting up samba shares, sabnzbd etc, or the network interface on the new box was faulty, i had already changed the cables twice and tried different ports on the router and switch.
    Then it dawned on me as the Mrs was complaining that her laptop wouldn't connect to the net or if it did it was very slow, i checked my router and sure enough the router was giving her the same ip i had set static on the server (stupid thing), set her a static ip on the laptop and restarted everything and both are flying along now.

Its just something to think about when things loose connection or start acting odd, it saved me a reinstall...for now :)

110cm Triax Dish multi arm 13,16,19, 23, 28 east fixed 90cm thor

• Good post m8 think this could help a lot of people ;)

Any information provided on this site is not guaranteed in any way. Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, your use of the content, downloads and files, or any part thereof, is made solely at your own risk and responsibility. Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal. !! Linuxsat-Support.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any information stored or posted on this forum.

• Yip a good tip is to set any static ip to a high number on you router gateway , eg 192.168.2.* set it to 192.168.2.100 that way its unlikey that you dynamic network ip's will go that high.

If its not broke --- fix it anyway.

• Usually when a static ip is not announcing correctly to a router it is down to the router being used. Another good tip once you have set your ip on whichever device is to give the device a reboot as this will announce the ip to the router. Best way however if the router allows it is as posted before. Set your dhcp range yourself at either high or low range and use the opposite of this for your own static ip addresses.

Regard

T

Dont forget to hit the thanks button!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:41_002:

Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, your use of the content, downloads and files, or any part thereof, is made solely at your own risk and responsibility. Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal. !! Linuxsat-Support.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any information stored or posted on this forum.

• i think its the routers fault, i did reboot the box after setting the static ip and the laptop wasnt on at the time.

i never had problems like this before thats why it took a while to figure out :)

110cm Triax Dish multi arm 13,16,19, 23, 28 east fixed 90cm thor

• Some routers allow you to set an fixed IP address to a mac address! Mine does! When i add a new device to my network i just enter the router config screen and associate its mac with a fixed IP!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!