Advise for somebody that has alway had a sly box

There are 11 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,751 times. The last Post () by bluedusty.

• Hello,
    New to the forum as i recently ended my sly subscription. I first of all picked up a F5s and paid somebody online for a 6 months sub (this was all i knew to do, as i was pointed in this direction "by a man in the pub") It took 2 weeks for the F5 to overheat and pack in, so after getting a refund on that im looking for some advice on where to go next.

I would like something that has a twin tuner and a decent epg (something that can have iplayer etc would be nice)
    Also it would be a help if anybody could point me to a decent tutorial in the way of how the whole thing works! Being honest im an old fart with limited tech knowledge who stumbled into this area! I have read that card sharing is going to be coming to an end, is there any work arounds to this or will i have to accept living with freeview if i no longer want to pay sly.

Apologies for the very basic questions but hopefully some of you lot can point me on my way!

• Hello to all, I am having a similar problem, except that i wiped the channels in the box i have. I've tried getting my hands on the file with the channel list but that is proven to be more difficult than getting water from the desert.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Good luck with your problem Carlcardiff.
    PGR

• I would like something that has a twin tuner and a decent epg (something that can have iplayer etc would be nice)

Whats your budget mate as you will have to stump up a lot more than you paid for the openbox!

Enigma2 box is what your looking for and there is plenty of tutorials for all models already here..just depends which one sways you and what you can afford basically.

My preference is the vu range as i have had a vu duo for 3 years now which has never skipped a beat but as i say it depends what you can afford.

MK

• I am in a similar boat to this guy. Just have a standard sly dish and would like a box to connect to my router and get all the channels via a sub. If I could get setanta for the 3pms too that would be handy - have heard it is possible on a normal 28.2 dish?? Any advice?

• We don't support Payservers here bsdbm, that includes paid subs of any kind. These Payservers are not cardsharing they usually make money off other people who share their subs in good faith with others, not knowing they are sharing with a scum of the earth payserver. If you want a Setanta sub i suggest you buy it from 5ky, although that will only be relevant if you live in Ireland. You cannot sub to Setanta unless you have an address in the R.O.I. Its because of the scum that sells these subs that we will be losing 5ky UK in the near future.

Any further chat about paid subs or any referrals to pay servers will result in this thread being closed.

OK heres my take on the other questions in the thread.

5kyBox F5 or any other 5kybox or Openbox model = Cheap Chinese crap that are only any good as a client box, meaning they are useless for card sharing, they are also of questionable build quality and as they come from China its doubtful that they meet EU electrical regulations. I owned an F5 for about a week and thought it was awful, they are just a cheap and nasty box.

If you want to cardshare you need a subscription card like 5ky Italia, Canal+ or something along those lines and a box that is capable of acting as a server and client box. If your on a budget go for something like a TM Nano, The Octogon SF8 or Xtrend ET-4000. All are single tuner. If you want a twin tuner you can't beat the Technomate TM 2T which is a good capable box for not a huge outlay as to is the original Vu+ Duo.

Avoid boxes like the GM Triplex or the Amiko Alien 2, they are more trouble than they are worth as they are not proper Enigma2 boxes and never will be.

Nano

• Cheers mate. My budget is around £150-£200. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel when sly crack down on sharing?

An nbox 5800sx or vu duo are good twin tuners and fit your requirements

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• nBox 5800SX boxes are good value for the money but the firmware is still far to buggy at the moment as some firmware images still have issues with HD pictures juddering.

The other downfall is that there are only a few teams writing firmware for these boxes and as it runs an SH4 type CPU not a MIPS one, not all enigma2 plugins will work with it and it won't work with CCCam.

Other than those few little points they are good boxes for the price.

Nano

• Thanks this has been a helpfull read as I am in a similar situation. Not sure what to do or go for as I only have existing dish where I am moving.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!