thinking of buying a prism cube

There are 12 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 2,738 times. The last Post () by ekkostar.

• i'm just about to get the prism cube
    and before getting one can anyone offer
    advise on them, i have a vu uno at the
    moment, and the questions are these
    will the cube hold unlimited channels like the vu?
    and from the reading iv'e done so far it looks like
    the box has to be flashed with a emergency image first
    before the BH image is flashed,is this correct ?
    and from what iv'e read there is talk of using a cable
    is it a serial or null modem cable? also some have said they
    cant get the loader to extract from the uploader folder and i wondered does it need connecting to the box etc: before opening the loader? also i rea d you need to activate two pins on the rear panel of the box to do this flash, is it a connector with a plug or something you get with the box, or do you just connect the pins together? lots of questions but i think it's better to ask first and
    get things right, then i dont cause problems and after ask for help fixing my mistakes, thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

• ok m8, best thing I did updating to the prismcube,
    1st, ive 5 sat's and 4,300 channels but don't know the maximum as yet.
    2nd all I did was save image to usb and remove power n then rebooted .
    the rest I don't know cos am thick lol
    I reckon cos its early days it can only get better as they progress with software's etc.
    hope that's some help good luck.

• Remember that the Prismcube is a extremely low spec generation 1 device so dont expect Duo2 performance and dont expect a mature operating system like your used to with Enigma2 as it's still very early days with this platform.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• phoenix is spot on .i got mine the other day and put the blackhole image on it .it loads the image super quick and navigating through the programs and add ons is kinda hit and miss i find it sticks a lot and need rebooting a lot . that said the blackhole image is good and easy to navigate around and when i get into the addons they are fine but as it is mostly iptv based the addons change a lot so where you might find a stream that you like it may not be there next time you go to look for it.in conclusion of my first review it does give you full xbmc and navi x on your tv and i hope it will improve with updates im happy enough with it but will be going back for the mostpart to my vu duo2 .

• The Prismcube runs XBMC4STB and is the first satellite hybrid box to do so. The ARM architecture handles XBMC just fine and the machine has a wonderful interface.

You can flash Black Hole via USB easily enough.

It heralds from a thoroughbred pedigree and from the level of support already being afforded to it by teams like Black Hole as well as the vast repositories XBMC opens up...it's a very difficult machine not to take notice of right now as well as going forward.

Marusys is fully supportive of this new direction and the Ruby is only the first model. There will be other Prismcubes.

• Well for me the Prismcube is to unmature to be released to the marked
    I have got a free sample for test and it is not to be compared with DUO2 or SOLO2
    Box hangs very often, there is very little support for it, runs very very very slow compare to Enigma2 boxes i have tested
    Right now there is not much for this box, but being new it will for sure improve.

I do like it that there is so many choises and the XBMC is fantastic to have at list for me, but i hope Marusys delivers a bitt beter performance / drivers soon

• The box has obviously already been released and is on the market and being so new you would normally have to wait to see where things go and establish themselves.

When E1 and E2 were originally launched things were a bit slower and traction took some time whilst developers got their heads round it all.

With XBMC4STB the Prismcube surprisingly has got third party support very early on and taps pretty much into the XBMC community which of course is itself immense. When you consider IPTV, streaming, satellite, interfaces, apps then XBMC4STB begins to set itself apart.

It's also pretty hard and unfair to compare established linux receivers to this machine. However, given Marusys' overall intent you would be hard pressed to argue XBMC4STB is not where things are about to head.

• Ekkostar, im quite sure i know this mate , being over 30 years on the sat sceen i know how things works.
    what i mean is that the PrismCube is slow not becouse it is early but becouse it has low power/juice under the hood

Im sure that to compare the E2 with the XBMC is maybe wrong on my part, but right now the box is way to unstable according to me
    i give my test box to a friend of mine yesterday as he have been using XBMC on his PC for long time, and after 30 min he call me up and as to come and pick up this **** as he sayed

Im sure and i mentioned that it is early to make any desitions, and im sure things will improve in 3 to 6 months

• Ekkostar, im quite sure i know this mate , being over 30 years on the sat sceen i know how things works.
    what i mean is that the PrismCube is slow not becouse it is early but becouse it has low power/juice under the hood

Im sure that to compare the E2 with the XBMC is maybe wrong on my part, but right now the box is way to unstable according to me
    i give my test box to a friend of mine yesterday as he have been using XBMC on his PC for long time, and after 30 min he call me up and as to come and pick up this **** as he sayed

Im sure and i mentioned that it is early to make any desitions, and im sure things will improve in 3 to 6 months

yes ur right i am also very disapponted from pc

Im sure that to compare the E2 with the XBMC is maybe wrong on my part,

The early Enigma machines were slower than the later ones.... that's just natural STB progression really. The same will apply to the Prismcubes I guess? The Ruby is only the first...

Also E2 is very mature now so it's never a fair comparative really but for a first gen box the Prismcube has enough about it to suggest this is where things could be headed?

• The early Enigma machines were slower than the later ones.... that's just natural STB progression really. The same will apply to the Prismcubes I guess? The Ruby is only the first...

Also E2 is very mature now so it's never a fair comparative really but for a first gen box the Prismcube has enough about it to suggest this is where things could be headed?

So where the hell are they?? your pm box is full ekkostar! i take it you are swamped with prismcube box requests/questions...?

MK

• Guys, the 1st and sometimes 2nd gen of anything is usually slow and buggy.

Thats a fact of how technology works.

Look at early sat receivers, my first box had 16 channels, no remote control, no internal decoder, the first E1 box's were rubbish, my DM7000 used to crash 4 / 5 times a day, my first E2 box was a dm800pvr, it was slow as hell to boot (around 2 - 2.5 mins), unstable for atleast the first 12 months I had it, with random crashes, and just generally buggy as hell, but over time, E2 became more stable, and the technology has now matured and is stable.

As it is, the Prismcube is cheaper than the early E1 and E2 box's were, and it is much faster than they were too, and more stable.

It's a new concept, it's not a satellite receiver that plays some media files, it is a media center with a twin sat tuner built in.

• Yes, wh()me? is correct. 1st and 2nd Gen boxes do tend to be buggy. It's not entirely due to the hardware (although that eventually catches up) but a lot rides on the software side as development teams get their heads around them. The same boxes do eventually become more stable and perform better with more evolved images.

The Blackhole team are on board and are up and running. I imagine other image developers require a little more time to get their heads around it.

The Prismcube is actually a twin satellite media center. It's an all in one and represents a convergence in STB technology. The ARM structure it runs on is relatively cheap and likely to get cheaper. It would be a bold person to say XBMC4STB is not good...

Obviously if you are buying one in the expectation that it will immediately compare to something like a Duo2 then the disappointment will lie in your expectations. However, when you use it and start tapping into the vast XBMC repositories you can see this thing is a pretty impressive and a very clever torch bearing product.

As far as further Prismcubes, it's not really for me to say at this moment and at what stage other than Marusys are committed to XBMC4STB and there will be others.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!