Any HTPC users?

There are 16 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,903 times. The last Post () by newtolinux.

• One thing I've pretty much stopped watching on satellite is movies!

Since building an HTPC setup a couple of years ago with full HD BD rips I've all but give up on TV films (unless its Christmas or the odd classic I don't have is on!)

Anyone else? :02:

• Go for it! You'll not regret it...and you can build something half decent for a few hundred quid!

I'm using 7MC setups with a newly installed 20 drive unit so I'm filling space fast lol....just finishing up the latest kit so will get some pics up asap!

heres a couple of old pics from my MediaBrowser setup -

• Ya was thinking about it!

The shell of the htpc is prob the only thing holding me back..

Wanted to put in a sat tuner, dvb-t tuner, 1tb hdd and maybe get an old laptop and use it too..

Whats your make up??

• aye I just use it for BD rips and TV torrents....tried the tuner thing briefly but it was too much hassle in 7MC so I just kept them separate!

I'm hitting 30TB of data between movies and TV series so it can grow quite quickly! I do take full ISO rips of BD's though so they take up more space than MKV's!

If you're looking to put 2 tuner cards in you'll likely have to go 4U so WAF might be an issue if you don't hide it away somewhere!

• Glen if you want the TV tuner bit MediaPortal is ideal with the tvservice plugin and u can get al the stuff u need to clear channels fro dvbn web site.

I'm running MP with the Streamed MP skin which installs the more useful pluggins like Tvseries and my movies. I'm like sandman never watch any movies or Tvseries from live tv, (just sport via bream box).

All my other stuff comes via newsgroups and stored on my MP server, then watched around the house via MP clients.

There is also a iPhone type plugin ;-)

If its not broke --- fix it anyway.

• Another good plugin is onlinevideo and another tip is install saf codec pack link in forums on MP. Designed for MP.

If its not broke --- fix it anyway.

• Will have to look into linux!

Am i have a shit load of .avi and divx movies downloaded from torrents, along with tv series and recording footie games!..

Would only be laptops first but must look into how to stream to ps3 aswell..

Don't have any hd tv's yet! Still only a young college goer lol..

• may come in handy for you

XBMC can be run in Debian Lenny/ubuntu etc . This is based on debian squeeze

This is a quick and basic guide to the general steps not a detailed how-to, although one may follow as I have the time.

Basic Guide:
    1) Install Debian squeeze- preferably using XFCE
    2) Update the system fully: apt-get update, apt-get upgrade reboot (likely a new kernel version) and then upgrade again to ensure ALL updates are installed.
    3) Edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file to add contrib and non-free
    4) install 3d drivers for video, preferably the "Debian Way." Ensure that 3d is working properly.
    4) Here comes one of the harder parts: find every codec and library related to multimedia that you can- ensure that you include related development code wherever possible (packages ending in "-dev" and beginning with "lib")
    5) Test that you can actually playback media using a player already installed
    6) Download XBMC from svn- (mkdir xbmc, then cd xbmc in a terminal first. then run svn to download)
    svn co SourceForge.net Repository - [xbmc] Index of /
    7) Open up the readme.LINUX file and install every dependency and associated "-dev" you can using apt. (NOTE that there were a couple that I was NOT able to find as listed.) If there is a "-dev" available for a file that is in the readme that doesn't SAY the -dev is required, I installed it anyway.
    8) Start a terminal session in the linuxport/XBMC directory and run "./configure."
    If this stops at any point something is missing: find it, install it and run configure again until it completes successfully.
    9) After "./configure" run "make" - you should have no errors at this point, but if you do, install or configure whatever causes the error.
    10) Change over to the root account- "su root" (Note that I did all steps IN the root account, but this should not be required for configure or make.)
    10) Run "make install."
    11) Once "make install" has completed successfully, exit the root account.
    12) Start XBMC and enjoy!

new2

Dont forget to hit the thanks button!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:41_002:

Some articles may discuss topics that are illegal, so this information is provided for educational purposes only, your use of the content, downloads and files, or any part thereof, is made solely at your own risk and responsibility. Viewing Pay TV without a valid subscription is illegal. !! Linuxsat-Support.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any information stored or posted on this forum.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!