AC3 Audio of Recorded Programme has Clicking Noises

There are 14 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,370 times. The last Post () by SatelliteJunkie.

• HERE is a clip. You can hear clicking sounds in the audio which only contains an AC3 stream. The 1080i video was recorded from a UK broadcast of BBC1. I noticed that when I copy the video from the VU+ to my PC and use MediaInfo on the TS file, it says 2 audio streams are in the file as follows.

• MP2 2 channel
    • AC3 2 channel

I can use the VideoRedo software to only play back the MP2 (via Tools, Select Stream) with the video and you don't hear any artifacts on the MP2, just AC3. You can observe the same thing on your VU+ by pressing the Audio button on your remote control and selecting MPEG instead of Dolby Digital.

Is this a bug or are there settings I can use to get AC3 recorded properly without those artifacts?

I also noticed that when the video has AC3 5.1, the AC3 doesn't have any problems unlike when the video has AC3 2 channel. However I found it a bit worrying that the MP2 stream had audio narration embedded and the file copied to my PC had the same problem. How can I get it without audio narration?

I'm using Black Hole 2.0.8.

• I also recorded a file which only had 2 channel AC3 in it. When I played the file back on my PC without editing it, it had clicks. But when I authored the clip to Bluray and played it on my PS3, there were no clicks! However on the file above with MP2 and AC3, the AC3 still had clicks when I listened to it on Bluray.

• I am wondering why you would want to record something what is broadcast at 720p at best and burn it to bluray to watch it anyway just seems a pointless waste of time and money on discs , I know you say thats your game and that , did you ever get your other project sorted with the 50 fps ,there has to be proper hardware for video editing consoles you can get with everything that opens and shuts on them , thats what id be looking at

• I like to have Blurays. It's not my editing software that's the problem. The clip I uploaded was taken from an unedited video on the VU+ Duo 2 which when played on the receiver before I copied it to my PC, it has those audio issues. Surely this can't be normal. I'm assuming you guys never hear clicking noises in your recordings? What settings do you use?

• I dont use any settings buddy neved play with the delay in audio etc i press record and then watch it ive recorded on solo2 duo 2 all the venton boxes f5 f3 xp1000 and never had clicking or a recording that has given issues , never tried to record on black hole though but i cant see an issue as no one else has ever had recording issues that ive seen in posts , this must be a hazard of being an audio visual expert and twatting about too much :laugh:

I cant think of anything that would give a clicking noise on a recording and not be audible on the tv at the same time on the broadcast

• The clicking in that video would go largely unnoticed in my home it always busy but i have had a listen to other recordings off my box thru the pc and I dont get any clicking at all I would not think its the image have you tried turning the wireless off on the duo 2 , its about the only thing i can think of that may cause it , maybe test with it off and see

• It was already disabled. I'm going to try Vix one last time. If that doesn't work I'll reluctantly have to sell my £500 VU+ Duo2 and go back to recording the hard way - via my Sly box to a Hauppage HD PVR. Then I'll have a little cry...

• have you a local card ? dont think ill be cams mine is thru cam off the server ,why did you go back to blackhole again ? forgot now ,have you recorder hd free to air to see ? cant see you selling your box lol work it out thats why its a hobby if it was all easy it would not be a lasting hobby its part of the challenge

MAN UP !! :snicker:

• I tried a known working image of this: Black Hole 2.0.5 Rev A Vu+Duo2 UK Ready Backup By master G.
    That had the same audio issues in AC3. The issues I heard in the sample I provided are from the BBC1 HD freeview channel which I don't even need cam software to access as it's freeview. So it looks like this is the normal behaviour of the box - to insert weird sounds in the AC3 audio. So it seems like it can't be fixed so I'm selling my Vu+ Duo 2 and I've gone back to recording with my Hauppage HD PVR.

Thanks everyone for your help though.

• After watching a few programmes on my Sly box, it seems that the clicking noises are in my Sly box recordings as well so it seems that the problem is not the VU+ Duo 2! I'm not sure how to fix this, it seems to be a problem with Sly itself.

• Good for you mate...sell your quality e2 box why not...price please as i might be able to find you a buyer that is not Braindead and whom also might be able to actually operate this box!

I can operate the box fine. The problem is that I'm getting clicking noises in the audio of programmes which is no fault of mine. You called me braindead (thanks for the "VIP" treatment!) but I'm not the one responding to old posts. In my last post I clearly said that the VU+ Duo 2 is not the problem, it appears to be a problem with Sly itself.

A Sly engineer came round to my house today and said there's no problem with my Dish or box but he doesn't know what's causing the clicking noises. I've got several tower surge protectors plugged in and a lot of electrical devices in my room. He said one of them may be causing interference on the Sly signal but he doesn't know for sure. He said there's nothing else Sly can do to fix the problem.

The rest of the rooms in my house don't have that clicking noise problem so he said I could try having my box in one of those rooms and running a long HDMI cable into my room. Also he said I should use a infra red remote sender so I could control my box from my room. Can anyone suggest what device to buy to work with my Duo 2?

VU+ DUO 2 PVR Ready Linux Enigma2 Receiver Full HD 1080p

Download VUPlus Images and Enigma2 Team Support from Black Hole, OpenATV, OpenBH, Open Black Hole, OpenDroid, OpenESi, OpenHDF, OpenLD, OpenPLi, OpenSPA, OpenViX, Open Vision, PKT Hyperion, PurE2, SatDreamGR, VTi.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!