octagonsf8 or nano technomate.

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 719 times. The last Post () by pheonix.

• if its not for a bedroom or second box I would say neither octagon is a good little box but nano im sure will take a caddy at extra cost to fit a drive internally , you would be far happier stretching your funds and getting a solo 2 or waiting till you can

• I'm almost certain you can install a HDD into the TM - Nano.

To be honest i would go for the TM - Nano, even though both receivers are well supported by VIX and the site sponsor once the warranty runs out i know that Technomate will always give excellent customer support should anything go wrong with it.

I have always found TM receivers good value and they are usually quite well built, its usually driver issues that let them down, although this is usually sorted out quite quickly.

My old TMS 1500 CI+ is still going. I purchased it in 2006.

Nano

• I'm almost certain you can install a HDD into the TM - Nano.

Correct, although it is not provided with the receiver by default but has to be purchased separately, silly approach from TM if you ask me but thats their decision.

For what it's worth the Nano is a surprisingly snappy little box and well worth the pricetag, I dont even miss the display which i though i would.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

• I have not owned the octagon but had the F5 and the nano. In my opinion get the nano it's a great box for the price and you can add a drive internally or external. Internal requires a fan and a caddy best purchased at the same time as the box from the site advertising here.

We all have to start somewhere

• I've had 2 sf8s from the sponsor but not the technomate. using the openatv image it does everything but sometimes its hard to get it to mount a drive. I just use a network drive no probs. its the lack of images at the moment that lets it down, now if it had blackhole...

• Unfortunately that will never happen. The Blackhole team now only produce images for the Vu+ range of receivers.

Nano

• I've had 2 sf8s from the sponsor but not the technomate. using the openatv image it does everything but sometimes its hard to get it to mount a drive. I just use a network drive no probs. its the lack of images at the moment that lets it down, now if it had blackhole...

BH support is not the be all and end all (my personal opinion ), I would far rather have opensource images than images which are technically illegal due to their refusal to release their source code, even if it is something that the average user would not be concerned about i sure am.

OpenViX on Twitter @0penViX

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!