satellite broadband

There are 7 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 881 times. The last Post () by Clyde.

• hi all

i live out in the sticks 4 miles from nearest exchange and my broadband speed is piss poor (0.5/1mbps) i have been reading about satellite broadband and getting mixed reviews people getting good speeds (20mbps) and people saying its good for a while then slows to dial up speed. its about £300 to install and then £20/30 a month depending on provider and package taken.

does anyone have this in n.ireland or no any satellite installer in the belfast area who could install this if it is any use

cheers steve

• do you not still need a broadband connection for the upload as satelite is really only one way? or has this all changed, its been that long snce i last looked at it

110cm Triax Dish multi arm 13,16,19, 23, 28 east fixed 90cm thor

• i install tooway and beyondsl, they have download speeds of up to 20Mb and upload speeds of up to 6Mb, but, you do have limits of monthly bandwidth, and this changes depending on how much per month you pay. tooway fees are as low as £20 a month, and when you think about it, you dont have to pay line rental, so it is actually cheaper, especially if you dont do a lot of downloading, but, some packages have 'unmetered' downloads between 23:00 - 06:00

for CS and online gaming, the ping is too slow, but, for general internet use, including iplayer etc, its perfect

i live in wales, and my home BB line is 2MB download and 100kb upload, which i pay (including line rental) about £25 a month for, so have thought about binning the phone line, and going for the sat BB myself

• Thanks for the help guys am still a bit skeptical as I read bad reports about tooway it's supposed to work great for a month or two then it slow to the same speed as dial up and there support is supposed to be crap but I will give them a call on Monday to find out more. The wife is not so keen on the large dish that has to be put up. I don't think you can use the *** dish to receive the broadband package.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!