Enable Root Access To Your New Ubuntu Server

There are 6 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 4,453 times. The last Post () by njunwa1.

• Official Post

This is for those who have setup their new Ubuntu server & find that they cannot login as root with programs such as putty & winscp. This will remove the need for the sudo-i command and allow you to run these programs as easily as they do on Debian ect.

To enable root access type the following commands

Code
    sudo -i

Code
    sudo passwd root

And this if you want to disable root access again use this.

Code
    sudo passwd -dl root

#######Update#########

Newer versions of ubuntu may require these commands:

Code
    sudo passwd -u root

Code
    sudo passwd root

Code
    su

Code
    service ssh restart

Code
    nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config

edit line 28 from...
    PermitRootLogin without-password
    to
    PermitRootLogin yes
    Save changes and exit...Then restart SSH...

Code
    service ssh restart

If you want to save the changes you've made, press Ctrl + O . To exit nano, type Ctrl + X . If you ask nano to exit from a modified file, it will ask you if you want to save it. Just press Y

The attached sshd_config has already been edited...

#######Update For 16.04.X and Latest Releases#########

Code
    sudo passwd -u root

Code
    sudo passwd root

Code
    sudo -i

Code
    sed -i 's/prohibit-password/yes/' /etc/ssh/sshd_config

Code
    reboot

• I have root access enabled and password updated. I guess that I now will be able to edit the file. Let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again.

Update.
    Managed to get to the file and edit it (I think) with " vi /server/cccam/backup.old/ .
    I then pressed Esc and enter, followed by w to write changes. Now when I ftp into the location I see a new file called backup.old.swp. The original file backup.old is still there also. Do I have to overwrite the original with the swp file or am I way off the mark.

• Hi I update to Ubuntu server to 14.4 and it want let me connect with putty and with WinSCP ! I do the commands > sudo -i > sudo passwd root ,change passwd than sudo reboot ,when I try to connect to root from other PC it want let me !! any Help please ? Thanks

• Ok now I find out what I was doing wrong !!when upload from Ubuntu 12.00 to Ubuntu 14.04 ask me " do you want t delete password from root ?" with mistake I chose Yes !!! sorry It was my fault !!!

• master G

Added the Label Article

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!