Sat receiver recommendation..?

There are 10 replies in this Thread which was already clicked 1,816 times. The last Post () by cazuela.

• Hi all,

I am trying to recommend a new receiver for a friend. Being a bit out of the loop as to what is currently available, some expert techie advice would be greatly received! :-)

Requirements...

- A twin tuner.
    - A recommended user friendly image with a simple GUI.
    - Something that supports cam software (CCcam, Oscam etc).
    - Good support for Bouquets and EPG.
    - Decent and simple to use recording functionality (preferably with an internal HDD).

His budget is around £200-300...

Best Regards,

Ben

• Thanks for the responses guys! :-)

I have narrowed it down to two choices I think...but will more than likely go for the Vu+ Solo 2...

The other receiver that has good reviews is the 'GiGaBlue HD QUAD'

A couple of other questions I did have...

What would be the best image(s) to have loaded onto the receivers?

They both appear to be out of stock on the site sponsors web site 'http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/'...any idea on how good they are at getting new stock in, and what time scales I can expect for delivery..?

Cheers,

Ben

• Gigablue Quad is a monster especially if you intend to use all the tuners but my personal preference would be to remain with VU+.

Image has got to be VTi for me every time coz it looks unique and is not stuck in the old Dreambox era. :snicker:

Just google "AtileHD" for more pics.

• Says Mid-Feb on the WOS site for the solo 2. I guess you would have to ask on the WOS forum for more accurate dates. Once in stock they are very good at getting boxes delivered. Mine was here the day after I placed the order. In terms of image my favourite is ViX, its certainly a popular one for ease of use and the support is very good

• Says Mid-Feb on the WOS site for the solo 2. I guess you would have to ask on the WOS forum for more accurate dates. Once in stock they are very good at getting boxes delivered. Mine was here the day after I placed the order. In terms of image my favourite is ViX, its certainly a popular one for ease of use and the support is very good

Why would anyone have to ask on the WOS forum when the sponsor is very active on this site with its own section??
    Not to mention an interesting discount for members HERE

• Why would anyone have to ask on the WOS forum when the sponsor is very active on this site with its own section??
    Not to mention an interesting discount for members HERE

Or you could ask on here as cazuela has very kindly pointed out!

• Appreciate all replies people! :thumbsup:

I will let you know which one I decide to go with...

Thinking of ordering a HDD to go with it...is £50 a reasonable price for a 500GB internal drive, or can I get it cheaper elsewhere? I think I have a spare SATA drive kicking around at home... just worried about invalidating any warranty if I pop open the lid and install my own...?

Also there have been a lot of rumours for well over a year now about CS coming to an end with regards to sly. Could someone please advise on this, or point me in the right direction for any recent information/experiences...? I am concerned that the bubble is about to burst with all these rumours of sly pairing the cards to the receivers and killing HD and premium channels... :sad:

Best Regards,

Spodge

• Hi All,

Just to let you know...

I decided to go with the Vu+ Solo 2 receiver. It is currently on back order so not sure when it will be back in stock (hopefully mid Feb as mentioned on the website). I went with the VIX image and decided not to buy a HDD from them as my friend has an external USB one he can use for recording.

The sponsor also gave small discount for being a member of this forum! :-)

Thanks again to all those who posted useful comments.

Spodge

• you´ll soon know how much "it makes sense" ..congrats..
    Everything you need is already on here as you probably know already :..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!